2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Plenum Repair - Accessory Bracket Stuck

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 08:50 AM
rboarderi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plenum Repair - Accessory Bracket Stuck

I am in the process of a plenum repair job and I cannot get the accessory bracket that holds the alternator and compressor off the truck. All of the bolts have been removed and I can twist the bracket back and forth although it appears to be pivoting on the hole where the bolt securing the water pump inlet tube was removed from. First of all, should the bracket be threaded in the mounting hole for this bolt or in the aluminum behind it? My bracket is threaded in that mounting hole and appears to use a larger bolt than the rest of them. Maybe during a previous repair the bolt broke off someone threaded the hole in the bracket just to secure the water pump inlet tube? I am thinking that there has to be a little piece of a bolt in there that is holding the bracket on. Would it do any harm to drill out that bracket hole a tiny bit larger hoping the free it up? I tried to find pictures of what is directly behind that hole and it appears to just be an aluminum mounting point where I would not do any damage drilling through the mounting hole and a little bit into what is behind it. Am I correct in this, or is this a terrible idea?

Last edited by rboarderi; 07-30-2018 at 08:54 AM.
Old 07-30-2018, 02:41 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

That tube might be in the way. Mine was stuck on due to oxidation. Just hit it with a rubber mallet or pull on it.

Old 07-30-2018, 02:50 PM
rboarderi

I wacked it with a hammer quite a few times. That water inlet bolt point acts as an axis point. You can grab both sizes of the bracket and rotate it clockwise and counter clockwise an inch either way and it rototes on the bolt hole.

Old 07-30-2018, 03:09 PM
rboarderi

I guess the simple question is, should the bolt hole in the mounting bracket that secures the water inlet pipe be threaded?

Old 07-30-2018, 03:11 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,212 Likes on 2,963 Posts

Remove the tube. Stick a cork or something in it to prevent more coolant loss. (if you haven't drained the system already.) Then try and wiggle the bracket off while pulling it toward the front of the truck. Some chemicals into the hole may not be a bad idea as well.

Old 07-30-2018, 06:22 PM
rboarderi

Looks like someone busted a bolt off in there before and tapped it a different size at an angle.

Old 07-30-2018, 07:04 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,212 Likes on 2,963 Posts

Well, at least it came out. Bolt hole still looks salvageable as well.

Quick Reply: Plenum Repair - Accessory Bracket Stuck