2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Superchips, Pinging, and Bad Shifting. Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 09:58 AM
jlake4130
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The shuttle shifts from 2nd, 3rd, 2nd, 3rd is a dead give away. The "shuttle shift" you are experiencing is a common issue, I remember reading a thread about it and how to correct it. Maybe someone else can chime in with more info. If not google "ram 46re shuttle shift".

Old 08-10-2018, 10:33 AM
Skeptic68W
Veteran
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If your truck is 96 and up, you shouldn't even HAVE an EGR valve.....

Ran any combustion chamber cleaner thru it? Carbon deposits can induce ping. They create hotspots that will ignite the mixture prematurely.
Haha good point. I was thinking of the PCV valve.

Cylinders are clean. I seafoam a few times a year and when I was in the motor less than a year ago, I cleaned out all carbon from the combustion chamber.

I put in the new ignition parts this morning. Not many places where I can go WOT on my way to work (live in a city), but I got a short run in on one stretch and I think that might have solved my pinging issue. The cap had some corrosion and 2 wires had been burned pretty severely on a header.

Old 08-10-2018, 10:35 AM
Skeptic68W
Veteran
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jlake4130
The shuttle shifts from 2nd, 3rd, 2nd, 3rd is a dead give away. The "shuttle shift" you are experiencing is a common issue, I remember reading a thread about it and how to correct it. Maybe someone else can chime in with more info. If not google "ram 46re shuttle shift".
I did a quick search for that, and will do some more digging. My trans is a reman unit that's about 2 years old that I installed a Transgo TFOD JR shift kit in. Shifts perfect when not tuned, but with the superchips tuning it does the "shuttle shift".

Quick Reply: Superchips, Pinging, and Bad Shifting. Thoughts?