2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1999 Ram 1500 4x4 Steering upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 10:29 PM
Grasscarlatemodel
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
You are welcome the only kits you will find are if you build them yourself. Or if you swap your knuckles to the 96/97 knuckles
The kit from synergy manufacturing wouldn't work too?

Old 08-12-2018, 11:33 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

The HD steering is only a bolt in for the 96 and 97 truck 98 and above 1500 you have to drill out the knuckles
Sorry, but this is completely wrong.

The 98-99 "HD" or T steering is a DIRECT bolt on for 98-99 1500s but will need the tapers drilled for 2000-01 trucks.

All 98-99 trucks have interchangeable parts up front save the ball joints (different axles).

OP: just order the tie rods, drag link, and sleeves for a 1999 2500 Diesel under rockauto. Get AC Delco brand as it has the correct puck style boots. Moog is fine but you'll have to make your own boots with washers or get these https://www.polyperformance.com/syne...t-boot-4134-02

You also have the correct stabilizer bracket to fit the HD tie rods. It has adjustable u-bolts for the thicker rods. Just measure from lock to lock after the new parts are on and you can mount the shock.

I did all this two years ago in a parking lot plus the alignment so just holler with any questions. And if you search for "T steering" upgrade you'll read for a week. There's plenty of correct and good info out there. Search google for dodgeforum threads and you'll find one done on here a couple years ago with part numbers and pics. There's also plenty of diesel forums and threads that are just as helpful for our trucks since most things are the same across the line.

Old 08-12-2018, 11:36 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramman18

The 98-99 "HD" or T steering is a DIRECT bolt on for 98-99 1500s but will need the tapers drilled for 2000-01 trucks.

All 98-99 trucks have interchangeable parts up front save the ball joints (different axles).

OP: just order the tie rods, drag link, and sleeves for a 1999 2500 Diesel under rockauto. Get AC Delco brand as it has the correct puck style boots. Moog is fine but you'll have to make your own boots with washers or get these https://www.polyperformance.com/syne...t-boot-4134-02

You also have the correct stabilizer bracket to fit the HD tie rods. It has adjustable u-bolts for the thicker rods. Just measure from lock to lock after the new parts are on and you can mount the shock.

I did all this two years ago in a parking lot plus the alignment so just holler with any questions. And if you search for "T steering" upgrade you'll read for a week. There's plenty of correct and good info out there. Search google for dodgeforum threads and you'll find one done on here a couple years ago with part numbers and pics. There's also plenty of diesel forums and threads that are just as helpful for our trucks since most things are the same across the line.
You are correct my big mistake! I just made the adjustment to my notebook! I know there is something to do with 96-97 trucks but can't find it... Maybe they can't get the HD steering

Old 08-12-2018, 11:44 PM
Grasscarlatemodel
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ramman18

I'm glad I like to read lol, that's one thing that you have to be able to do if you own a dodge lol. Thanks for the response!

Old 08-19-2018, 01:01 AM
69_XS29L
Veteran
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Don't own it, so I can't vouch for it. Have seen it on a Dodge in PHX. This stuff is beast. The owner sounds a little full of himself but so are lot of self motivated entrepreneurs. This guy spent some thought engineering/correcting some of the geometry and problems in Gen2 front ends. Even if you buy nothing, there is some good information on his website and forum. DOM tubing, quality heim joints, resells Synergy branded stuff, etc. Expensive, but I didn't hear any weeping about a budget.
http://store.dodgeoffroad.com/2nd-Ge...2002_c_47.html

Old 08-19-2018, 01:05 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by 69_XS29L
Don't own it, so I can't vouch for it. Have seen it on a Dodge in PHX. This stuff is beast. The owner sounds a little full of himself but so are lot of self motivated entrepreneurs. This guy spent some thought engineering/correcting some of the geometry and problems in Gen2 front ends. Even if you buy nothing, there is some good information on his website and forum. DOM tubing, quality heim joints, resells Synergy branded stuff, etc. Expensive, but I didn't hear any weeping about a budget.
http://store.dodgeoffroad.com/2nd-Ge...2002_c_47.html
They won't ever get my business again...

Old 08-19-2018, 09:16 AM
Grasscarlatemodel
Rookie

They won't ever get my business again...
Why is that?

Old 08-19-2018, 10:59 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by Grasscarlatemodel
Why is that?
Well let me list a few lol
1. They are A**holes who think they know it all
2. Don't support our veterans (I served and that is a big one to me)
3. Took me 2 months (yes two months) to get my parts kept saying something about their supplier
4. When I finally get the parts they are wrong or broken
5. Call them up to completion guy on the phone basically says to go f*ck myself

Old 08-19-2018, 01:31 PM
Grasscarlatemodel
Rookie

Well let me list a few lol
1. They are A**holes who think they know it all
2. Don't support our veterans (I served and that is a big one to me)
3. Took me 2 months (yes two months) to get my parts kept saying something about their supplier
4. When I finally get the parts they are wrong or broken
5. Call them up to completion guy on the phone basically says to go f*ck myself
Damn. Thanks for your service! I could tell that they thought they geniuses by their prices.

Old 08-19-2018, 01:35 PM
Grasscarlatemodel
Rookie

I swear, I love my truck but damn why do parts have to cost $8,000,000 lol

Quick Reply: 1999 Ram 1500 4x4 Steering upgrades