2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How much toe?

Old 08-16-2018, 02:06 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Figured I'd update everyone didn't get the truck aligned. Went to go to the alignment shop and found out I have death wobble. It stops as soon as I hit 45 but above that and I hit a small bump the truck wants to fall apart. The joys of a straight axle

Old 08-16-2018, 02:21 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

hey its not the straight axles fault. generally death wobble is caused by worn out parts. have you checked to make sure all tie rods, ball joints and bearings are tight? probably should have checked that stuff before an alignment since most shops won't want to do an alignment on a truck with any worn out front axle parts. you may also want to check and make sure there is no toe out even if you just do it with a tires on. toe out could cause it to want to start DW if there is possibly an issue

Old 08-16-2018, 04:59 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
hey its not the straight axles fault. generally death wobble is caused by worn out parts. have you checked to make sure all tie rods, ball joints and bearings are tight? probably should have checked that stuff before an alignment since most shops won't want to do an alignment on a truck with any worn out front axle parts. you may also want to check and make sure there is no toe out even if you just do it with a tires on. toe out could cause it to want to start DW if there is possibly an issue
I did check before I went (even though I replaced all front end components about 4 thousand miles ago) and it's it out alignment but it was fine with the 35s now that I put a smaller tire on I got the death wobble.

Old 08-16-2018, 05:28 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

what about front end bushings? i would guess the bushings in the arms that connect the axle to the frame might be wore out if you are experiencing death wobble. i would still recommend at least checking the toe in the driveway and make sure it is toe in even if you just do it with the tires on it. this might be worth reading but it sounds like it could be a lot of things.
https://kevinsoffroad.com/blogs/kevi...x-death-wobble

Old 08-16-2018, 07:19 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

what about front end bushings? i would guess the bushings in the arms that connect the axle to the frame might be wore out if you are experiencing death wobble. i would still recommend at least checking the toe in the driveway and make sure it is toe in even if you just do it with the tires on it. this might be worth reading but it sounds like it could be a lot of things.
https://kevinsoffroad.com/blogs/kevi...x-death-wobble
I read that. I mean everything was replaced, tie rods, u joints (on driveshaft and axle ends), ball joints, bushings, steering box, pittman arm, drag link, and new control arms. I am thinking of going to the T steering and check the alignment. I just don't get why it would do it with smaller tires and not the big ones. You think the big ones would have made it worse.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:57 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

big tires are wider so they might have just helped hide it. i guess like the article said it can be really tough to diagnose and fix death wobble. i can completely understand why dodge wanted to get away from leaf springs in the front but they probably needed to connect the axle to the frame a bit better than they did.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:31 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

big tires are wider so they might have just helped hide it. i guess like the article said it can be really tough to diagnose and fix death wobble. i can completely understand why dodge wanted to get away from leaf springs in the front but they probably needed to connect the axle to the frame a bit better than they did.
Yes like a triangular 4 link instead of a 5 link. They were doing it in the 80s Cherokee so no reason it couldn't have been some on the RAM

Old 08-17-2018, 09:20 AM
jlake4130
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the trac bar (from the frame to the axle). Usually the source of DW. If you are still running the stock trac bar with the tie rod end on the frame end of it, thats most likely your cause. You need to upgrade the trac bar to the 3rd gen style ( http://www.dtprofab.com/DTP02100XHD-...FT-_p_352.html)
Kind of expensive, if moneys tight (like it is for everyone) go this route https://lukeslink.com/products/lukes...d-poly-bushing
I ran a Luke link for years, worked great!

Old 08-17-2018, 11:06 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by jlake4130
Check the trac bar (from the frame to the axle). Usually the source of DW. If you are still running the stock trac bar with the tie rod end on the frame end of it, thats most likely your cause. You need to upgrade the trac bar to the 3rd gen style ( http://www.dtprofab.com/DTP02100XHD-...FT-_p_352.html)
Kind of expensive, if moneys tight (like it is for everyone) go this route https://lukeslink.com/products/lukes...d-poly-bushing
I ran a Luke link for years, worked great!
Thanks for the info! Eventually want to go to The steering and 3rd gen track bar

Old 08-28-2018, 07:34 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Ok so made a 150 mile journey, and no death wobble! Thought it fixed itself until I hit one bump and I had it

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How much toe?