2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Magnum fuel injection on LA block

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 06:23 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

I had an idea of putting in a modern 5.7 hemi with all the other stock components. It can be made to fit a 46RE, The front timing cover would need to be replaced with an aftermarket unit that allows for a distributor(cam sensor and ignition). The other sensors could be modded to fit. I think it would work because the the displacement is about the same as the 360. Worse case it would need a tune. I think that might give Flyin Ryan a challenge. Just an idea but i don't have the time or money spend on it.

Old 08-29-2018, 06:30 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Originally Posted by Moparite
I had an idea of putting in a modern 5.7 hemi with all the other stock components. It can be made to fit a 46RE, The front timing cover would need to be replaced with an aftermarket unit that allows for a distributor(cam sensor and ignition). The other sensors could be modded to fit. I think it would work because the the displacement is about the same as the 360. Worse case it would need a tune. I think that might give Flyin Ryan a challenge. Just an idea but i don't have the time or money spend on it.
Wonder if a modified V-10 program would work? It is DIS after all.... just tune out the two extra cylinders?

Old 08-29-2018, 06:42 PM
dapepper9
Veteran
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fj5gtx
If you look at the numbers in the regular rpm range that you'd be driving around in (up to 3k to 3.5k maybe), the chart posted isn't showing much improvement than the chart I put in there. And torque is what you want to yank weight around, which is missing from that chart. How much we spending for marginal results? I think if you want much more engine performance, clean up what you've got, sell it, and move into a hemi truck. My 04 4x4 QC SLT would get sideways in the street, complete monster for a loaded 1/2 ton truck, and no mods necessary - all factory configuration. Dashes don't fall apart, they didn't have steering issues, and we're getting into the sweet spot as far as them showing up in the pick-n-pulls. Going to cost more, but its also going to get better fuel economy with the standard 5 speed auto trans.

I guess if you just want to screw around with it and don't care about getting your money back when you sell, have at it. Not trying to be negative, just straight talk about the pros/cons about investments.
yes tq is missing from the chart i posted. However, simple math further proves my point. Hp is gained EVERYWHERE in the curve. Hp is a function of tq and rpm. For the to be a gain in hp down low there is also a gain in tq to MAKE that hp. You gain literally everywhere over the keg.
Bolt-on 360 will make the same hp and a large chunk more tq compared to an early hemi and at a fraction of the cost of swapping. Like Heyyou said, people have a thing for these trucks and may not want the newer stuff. At the end of the day it's about preference. Every one of my posts has been directly related to the original posters goal and making the most out of it as easily as he can.

i love the point about getting your money back when you sell lol. Simple fact is, there is no money recuperated on vehicle modifications in the general market. Period. You can put on just a catback exhaust or a cold air intake or build a 700hp monster. It doesn't matter, regardless of what you put into the vehicle you're losing the "investment". It's about building something cool and fun over buying something new. It's a hobby. How much does a guy lose when buying a fishing boat? Damn near every penny it took to purchase it and keep it for however long he owned it. Same idea but you don't see the argument being made in that area of life.

the straight talk about pros/cons is fairly misinformed

Last edited by dapepper9; 08-29-2018 at 06:48 PM.
Old 08-29-2018, 06:43 PM
dapepper9
Veteran
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Moparite
you don't need to do anything with the timing cover. Converting to hemi requires utilizing the hemi control system. Ryan has tuned such things in the past already

Old 08-29-2018, 07:41 PM
Shadow_Death
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would the 46RE even hold up to a Hemi?

Old 08-29-2018, 07:54 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

If you built it right..... but, if you are swapping in the hemi, and the electronics to run it, why not the trans as well? May even be a standalone controller available for it.

Old 08-29-2018, 08:16 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

I agree with HeyYou. Our trans were outdated by 2000. Why not upgrade to get the extra gear... 4spd I don't think would wake the Hemi up enough. Drive my 08 and 16 I Tony even think 5 is enough. It works really well with 6

Old 08-29-2018, 08:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

There is a MULTI page thread around here somewhere of a member doing the hemi swap. Engine, trans, electronics, and even the dash out of the third gen. He got it to bolt in, and it looked like it belonged there. LOTS of work, and I don't think he finished it.... but, he got pretty close.

Old 08-30-2018, 08:05 AM
Sledder10
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't get notified of all these responses ...

Anyways, I have a lot of info now so trying to decide what I'm going to do. I'll probably start a new thread at that point. Ill reiterate, I'm not trying to make a hotrod and I'm not trying to make hemi power. I like these trucks and I technically didn't pay any money for it, so I'm going to put a few bucks into it, make a fun project out of it, learn some things, and maybe end up with a little more power. I'm not planning on dropping 6k on it to cross 400 hp, although to be fair I would need to spend how much on a new truck to get to that threshold? If I end up with a running vehicle that has decent drivability I'll be happy. Thanks all for the advice

Quick Reply: Magnum fuel injection on LA block