2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

--Transmission Help--

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 08:20 PM
TxMac
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default --Transmission Help--

Need some help finding out what's going on with my 97 ram 5.2l 318 Automatic, O/D button on the dash single cab short wheel base. Lately I been noticing slipping problems when driving in 1st and 2nd gear. I would like to note that a few months back I had replaced some sensor's in the transmission (2) along with a new trans filter.
I been having a problem were when I take off in 1st gear it will be fine accelerating Softly and slow but when I get the rpm's up to about 2800 rpm's the trans will slip and rpm's rack up and truck goes no were and slowly grabs the gear as the rpm's go down causing me to accelerate slowly. It will shift into second gear find if I'm light and easy on the throttle on acceleration first and second will go fine RPM seems higher when normal but will shift. It's only when I get not hard into it but some get up and go power and it will just slip right away 1st and 2nd will do it. 3rd 4th 5th seem fine from what I can tell after reaching of speed of about 45 mph. it will shift into 3rd gear and I can actually put the pedal down a little and go and it won't slip. Over drive works fine and so dose reverse manually shifting works as I can tell. Truck is sitting on 18's and have about a 3in leveling kit. Ik this might sound weird but that's what's going on and would hate to spend the money on a new/rebuilt trans if it's simple fix. Thanks in advance..

Old 09-11-2018, 08:34 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Fluid level correct? (can't check it in park, gotta check in neutral.) How many miles on it?

Quick Reply: --Transmission Help--