2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

98 Dodge Ram 1500 Drive Shaft Oddity

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 12:01 AM
supadoom
Veteran
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Default 98 Dodge Ram 1500 Drive Shaft Oddity

So i'm fairly new at things like this so forgive me if i'm just being an idiot. I have a 98 Dodge Ram 1500 that I replaced the rear drive shaft U joint's on. At the parts house they swore up and down that I need three U joints for it and went as far as to show me the diagram book. However getting underneath the truck and looking at it reveals only two U joints. One at the rear differential and one at the rear of the transmission. Then its just a big metal bar. The diagrams show a joint in the middle where it flexes. Any idea's on why this dodge has a seemingly incorrect drive shaft? Is it something that should be fixed? After replacing the joints its not vibrating or shifting roughly so I don't notice anything immediately wrong with it.

Old 09-13-2018, 07:34 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,212 Likes on 2,963 Posts

Quad Cab long bed trucks had a two-piece driveshaft. Shortbeds were one piece. If you have the longer truck, with a one piece shaft, someone changed it out.

Quick Reply: 98 Dodge Ram 1500 Drive Shaft Oddity