2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Two bolts on bellhousing where heliocoiled , now what ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 07:25 PM
POSram2001
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Two bolts on bellhousing where heliocoiled , now what ?

Finally got that rebuilt tranny in there. What a ****, anyway two of the bolts wouldn’t go in because who ever had it before must have stripped or broke them off and had them heliocoiled.

the bolts wouldn’t go in and we where confused as to why but we saw it when we shined a flashlight on the holes.

I have a buddy who has a tapping kit and he said he’ll come by and tap them for me ( only put the tranny up, left everything else off for time being) so what I’m asking is even if we tap those two bolts in there will this tranny come off when I’m driving ?

im paranoid and scared. Especially if I engage 4x4

Old 09-27-2018, 10:13 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 310 Likes on 292 Posts

You mean there are two heli-coils in the back of the engine block for a couple of the transmission bellhousing bolts? If so, there is nothing wrong with that as long as the bolts can screw into the heli-coils. As long as the heli-coils were properly installed, there is nothing to fear from them. Removing the heli-coils and taping the bolt holes again will require a much larger diameter bolt to have to be used.

Old 09-27-2018, 11:45 PM
Torxhead
Veteran
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If the Heli-coils are damaged they can be removed and replaced with new ones. Providing you have the installation tooling that usually comes with the kit they come with. You can pry a coil up with a small screwdriver and pull it all out with a pair of pliers. I would think there is plenty of internet info on the process.

Old 09-28-2018, 02:29 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I agree, pull the heli-coils out if they are damaged, chase the threads with a tap, then install new heli-coils.

Quick Reply: Two bolts on bellhousing where heliocoiled , now what ?