2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Misfire felt in pedal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 03:47 PM
Maximillio
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Misfire felt in pedal?

So lately I've noticed that sometimes when driving, I'll feel what feels like a misfire/backfire or something in my pedal, as it almost feels like hitting a bump in the road, but not from suspensions, you feel it in the pedal, sometimes you can hear what sounds like a spudder in the exhaust when this happens. Is this indeed caused by a misfire, or should I be looking for something else?

I do have a P0601 code (CheckSum Error) but no other codes, and its generally fixed by reflashing the tune (Since Original PCM is for a 5.2, its tuned for the 5.9 in it, and it just seems to go out sometimes, usually if I left the battery disconnected for a good period of time for working on something.)

I do have either a rod knock or lifter knock (Hard to tell because my exhaust is loud and I've an exhaust leak around that same spot too that masks it some. I've been running MMO in the fuel some, and in the oil, but it does need an oil change. I've plans to change the oil, spark plug wires(as the ones on there aren't great condition) and spark plugs next weekend when I have the time. Hopefully that will remedy most of the problems I'm feeling.

Any tips or advice for anything would be great!

Old 10-04-2018, 03:49 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,396 Likes on 3,136 Posts

The 601 code indicates bad memory in the PCM. Reflashing it *might* work, but, I would be more tempted to simply replace it.

I would fix that before chasing any other problems.

Old 10-04-2018, 04:08 PM
Maximillio
Professional

Yeah, it has happened before when the tune messes up from battery being unplugged a long time. Reflash almost always fixes it, and it does not come back.

Also, Computers are exceptionally expensive to replace.

Last edited by Maximillio; 10-04-2018 at 04:12 PM.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:17 PM
Maximillio
Professional

Update: Turns out one of the spark plug wires wasn't even connected?? It fixed the knocking and miss. Went ahead and cleared the code to see if that's why the P0601 went, since I never got a misfire code haha So I suppose if it doesn't come back, it's all good!

I have no idea how that happened since they were all on extremely snugly just a few months ago. Thought I wouldn't be surprised if it was a neighbor.. Had my gas flap glued shut once (attempted too, had to clean crap), one backed into my drivers side cab behind the front door, wouldn't confess to it after it being extremely obvious (noticible gash on his rear bumper, exact height which I measured, and hes a brand new stick shift driver... I wasn't born yesterday my guy)..

Quick Reply: Misfire felt in pedal?