2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

!999 46re wont shift from 1st

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 08:05 PM
xthehavokx
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default !999 46re wont shift from 1st

Hey guys
For starters i tried all types of posts and forums and couldnt quite find a solution to my problem. I just bought a 99 1500 Ram with 360/46re with 190k for 500 dollars, i had to fix a front axle u joint and drive shaft u joint, both front calipers but other then that its been pretty good! Runs good and was holding on to 2nd a bit but would otherwise shift pretty well. Was fixing a buddies truck and went to leave and just would not shift out of 1st unless i shifted to neutral then back to drive then would go right to 2nd but wont hit 3rd, Also wouldn't go to 2nd with the gear shifter in 2nd.

I dropped the pan to see if there was any surprises and there was nothing.. not even a magnet lol but no peaces of anything so i changed the filter did a rear band adjustment because it was really loose filled it, checked the tv cable which looks perfect, and checked the electrical connector on the trans. The plug had water in it so i put some dielectric grease in it and put it on. Went through the whole filing up process for the trans and still the same thing. I didnt do a front band adjustment because when i can get it to shift into 2nd itll go just fine without slipping.

There are no codes, But one more thing, when i first bought the truck my buddy was driving it home for me and it was holding on to 1st to him once and he was just hammering on it till it started shifting again. I fixed the other things and for about 2-300 miles or so has been shifting fine. Anybody have any tips or tricks? isnt it weird that it will shift into 2nd from a neutral to drive shift? Any help would be a life saver thanks!

Old 10-06-2018, 10:19 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I think you need to unplug the electrical connector. You will have to use the lever to manually shift the gears. If it works the problem is electrical. If it doesn't work the problem is in the transmission. I'm not positive about this, but seems correct. Hey You would remember for sure.

Old 10-06-2018, 11:46 PM
xthehavokx
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey thanks for the reply, The issue ended up being the kick down cable was half "open" when i was at my buddies house his throttle pedal felt stiff so i compared it to mine because its the same truck. It must of been gummed up and thats why it wouldnt shift.. i feel a bit stupid but holy **** im happy! If it wont shift out of 1st or 2nd until really high rps, check that kick down cable!

Quick Reply: !999 46re wont shift from 1st