2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Trans might be dying sadly...

Old 10-23-2018, 12:47 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

I agree with above. Only aftermarket IAC that I could get to work was Standard Motor Products. It took 3 sensors. Now Advance and Auto Zone don't warranty sensors.

Old 10-23-2018, 03:40 PM
WhiteSnake91
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh - I actually never did install a new iac, I'm just assuming the problem is something with the iac relearn procedure the ecm does, for all I know the original factory iac is still installed, the butterfly valves in intake aren't all dirty so I honestly never cleaned out the TB yet, only installed a new map sensor and O2 sensor for good measure earlier this year...afterward I noticed the occasional low idle spike when letting off the gas for approx 40 miles.

Still did it today but should eventually go away. I actually got a chance to drive my dad's 98 extended cab short bed ram with an apparently new 5.2 engine and new auto trans, maybe approx 6-8k miles on them both, and body only has 143k, I guess the previous owner before my dad really ran it hard to need both of those before 143k, since the rebuilds were done approx 2-3 years ago and he's owned the truck approx 10 years now. But anyway, it doesn't drive that much different than my 95 does with 225k, maybe a bit smoother stop and go acceleration and it felt a bit more powerful if that makes sense, not sure if anything was done to beef his engine/trans up. But, that leads me to believe my old truck isn't in THAT bad shape if a newer fresher truck is barely better mine actually starts up much quicker and better, I'm assuming he used some AutoZone/O'Reilly fuel pump when he changed his out approx 2 years ago which could be why.......I must say I've gotten quite used to and like the sound of my dual exhaust cherry bomb extreme too, he just has a stock single exhaust/factory muffler but with a gutted cat. Sounds alright, just different and much less deep than my truck. His sounds more raspy if that makes sense.

Old 10-23-2018, 06:52 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by WhiteSnake91
Oh - I actually never did install a new iac, I'm just assuming the problem is something with the iac relearn procedure the ecm does, for all I know the original factory iac is still installed, the butterfly valves in intake aren't all dirty so I honestly never cleaned out the TB yet, only installed a new map sensor and O2 sensor for good measure earlier this year...afterward I noticed the occasional low idle spike when letting off the gas for approx 40 miles.

Still did it today but should eventually go away. I actually got a chance to drive my dad's 98 extended cab short bed ram with an apparently new 5.2 engine and new auto trans, maybe approx 6-8k miles on them both, and body only has 143k, I guess the previous owner before my dad really ran it hard to need both of those before 143k, since the rebuilds were done approx 2-3 years ago and he's owned the truck approx 10 years now. But anyway, it doesn't drive that much different than my 95 does with 225k, maybe a bit smoother stop and go acceleration and it felt a bit more powerful if that makes sense, not sure if anything was done to beef his engine/trans up. But, that leads me to believe my old truck isn't in THAT bad shape if a newer fresher truck is barely better mine actually starts up much quicker and better, I'm assuming he used some AutoZone/O'Reilly fuel pump when he changed his out approx 2 years ago which could be why.......I must say I've gotten quite used to and like the sound of my dual exhaust cherry bomb extreme too, he just has a stock single exhaust/factory muffler but with a gutted cat. Sounds alright, just different and much less deep than my truck. His sounds more raspy if that makes sense.
I know this is off topic but I'm going to replace my exhaust and was wondering how yours is setup. I want it to have that deep sound lol

Old 10-23-2018, 07:52 PM
WhiteSnake91
Professional

I bought the cherry bomb extreme muffler off Amazon, for 35ish, there are several different sizes as well as single or dual exhaust. Mine is 3.5 inlet, dual 2.5 out, I had a local muffler shop hack off the old crap silver cherry bomb muffler that actually had an ok deep rumble like a magnaflow at idle but it was very wimpy and quiet if you revved it like a little 4 cylinder car. It was also causing an exhaust/fumes problem since the old one was also dual exhaust dumped under the cab. I had the local muffler place weld the cherry bomb on and got two 2.5inch pipes running straight out the back, I actually didn't even get tips. I've considered one particular magnaflow xl muffler I found on YouTube since it has that nice bassy rumble at idle and a decent rev sound but it's $75 online and apparently very poor quality metal according to reviews. The flowmaster super 50 suv muffler I've been considering is around 150, quite a bit more than my cheap cherry bomb. IDK, I feel weird paying alot for a muffler. I was originally going to straight pipe the truck with no muffler but kept reading it'll ruin the power due to no back pressure.....wether that holds any scientific merit im personally unsure. I've also heard some VERY nice "carven" exhaust vids that sounds very good, like a cleaner sounding Dynomax bullet muffler.

The cherry bomb extreme is a VERY nice and cheap alternative to the quite a bit more expensive flowmaster super 10, I heard the cherry bomb extreme is a clone of it. I wonder if there's any good cheap great rumbling sounding cherry bombs that are clones of magnaflows.....

I can post the link later, although quite expensive for a muffler, I liked the rumble and growl the flowmaster super 50 suv muffler has on these Rams. Flowmaster super 44 also sounds decent

Old 10-24-2018, 01:11 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by WhiteSnake91
I bought the cherry bomb extreme muffler off Amazon, for 35ish, there are several different sizes as well as single or dual exhaust. Mine is 3.5 inlet, dual 2.5 out, I had a local muffler shop hack off the old crap silver cherry bomb muffler that actually had an ok deep rumble like a magnaflow at idle but it was very wimpy and quiet if you revved it like a little 4 cylinder car. It was also causing an exhaust/fumes problem since the old one was also dual exhaust dumped under the cab. I had the local muffler place weld the cherry bomb on and got two 2.5inch pipes running straight out the back, I actually didn't even get tips. I've considered one particular magnaflow xl muffler I found on YouTube since it has that nice bassy rumble at idle and a decent rev sound but it's $75 online and apparently very poor quality metal according to reviews. The flowmaster super 50 suv muffler I've been considering is around 150, quite a bit more than my cheap cherry bomb. IDK, I feel weird paying alot for a muffler. I was originally going to straight pipe the truck with no muffler but kept reading it'll ruin the power due to no back pressure.....wether that holds any scientific merit im personally unsure. I've also heard some VERY nice "carven" exhaust vids that sounds very good, like a cleaner sounding Dynomax bullet muffler.

The cherry bomb extreme is a VERY nice and cheap alternative to the quite a bit more expensive flowmaster super 10, I heard the cherry bomb extreme is a clone of it. I wonder if there's any good cheap great rumbling sounding cherry bombs that are clones of magnaflows.....

I can post the link later, although quite expensive for a muffler, I liked the rumble and growl the flowmaster super 50 suv muffler has on these Rams. Flowmaster super 44 also sounds decent
See I want to do true duals but I don't think it'll work because one side won't have O2 sensors. But if I can figure it out (Maybe HeyYou knows if the one side will need O2 sensors) I want 3.5 true duals each side exciting right behind rear tires (my logic is won't scrap as much Off-road compared to being under the rear bumper) with twin tips on each side

Old 10-24-2018, 01:39 AM
WhiteSnake91
Professional

That'd be nice, it shouldn't require another O2 sensor, I've seen plenty of old obd1 Chevy 80s/90s Chevy trucks with true duals and those only have one O2 sensor from the factory...obd2 wasn't until later in 96 I believe I had considered a twin side exit before the passenger tire, it would be somewhat unique, haven't seen too many trucks with that setup. Carven mufflers are very intriguing to me, sound good and a hell of a lot cheaper than the flowmaster super 50 I was considering. I'll have to research if there's a cheap cherry bomb magnaflow clone that sounds good at idle like a deep rumble but also sounds good on revving. The one pre cat sensor is the most vital mainly with mpg, I replaced my old one for good measure earlier this year

Edit- here's the flowmaster super 50 vid on a 5.2 ram https://youtu.be/GLrJoO1DQOs , it has a decent idle sound and I like the growl when started up

Last edited by WhiteSnake91; 10-24-2018 at 01:42 AM.
Old 10-24-2018, 07:32 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Just one O2 will be fine.

An X or H pipe in your exhaust helps with scavenging as well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trans might be dying sadly...