2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

HELP stalls while driving rough idle to no idle hard to start back

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 12:56 AM
Bradley Napier
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP stalls while driving rough idle to no idle hard to start back

Ok this is gonna be long so sorry. I'm new to the dodge. I bought this truck off my buddy who didn't own it very long but it's a 01 ram 1500 single cab 2wd was a v6 truck but got swapped with the 5.2. Truck was having issues such as stalling at random after driving few miles and would have to let it set for hour or so before it.would start was told it was fuel pump so I replaced fuel pump problem solved. Another thing.I forgot the pipes was off the truck it only had the cat which has been cleaned out. Today I took and had the muffler welded back on that came.with the truck.When I bought it drove it down the road for bought a mile.it stalled out. When it does this you have to hold the gas wide open while cranking it will fire up rev it up then dies like It's starving of gas or to much air. It will eventually start after bought 20 trys but won't.idle unless I hold gas down for couple mins and slowly walk it back down then it still wants to die. any advice what to.check would be very appreciated

Old 10-16-2018, 08:47 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Check the coolant temp sensor, make sure it has a good connection. If the temp gauge gets weird when the engine won't start, that's a good indication that there is a problem there.

Old 10-19-2018, 02:56 PM
Bradley Napier
Default Update

Hooked reader to it got a p1388 and p0108 would this cause these symptoms

Old 10-19-2018, 03:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Either, or both....

P1388: ASD control circuit.
P0108: Manifold absolute pressure sensor.

If the pcm drops the asd relay, the engine immediately stops running. MAP sensor will just make it run bad.

Old 10-20-2018, 10:09 AM
wrnchbndr
Professional

I had a similar problem on my '97. My truck has the power distribution section next to the battery and that is where my ASD relay is. I swapped the ASD relay with the relay that is marked "Trailer". I did a few other things like tighten down all of the ground wires under the hood and for two months I haven't had a problem. I don't know if swapping the relays was the fix but I don't have a problem anymore.

Old 10-22-2018, 08:15 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like when my camshaft position sensor was going out. After driving a little bit it got heat soaked and loosened up its innards then I had to let it cool off before it would start and stay running again. The parts stores call it a pick up coil and you might get a blank look from them if you say camshaft position sensor. It's the plastic ring that sits in the bottom of the distributor and it isn't too hard to pinch the wire for it when putting the distributor cap on.

Old 10-29-2018, 02:02 AM
Bradley Napier
Default Update

I deleted the map sensor code and it would run fine for few minutes then the code came back haven't really had the extra money to.fool wwith it any more any suggestion on that the other code for.the asd relay has not.came back up didn't start acting up like this until after I put the muffler back on

Quick Reply: HELP stalls while driving rough idle to no idle hard to start back