2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission is Slipping

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 12:13 PM
Jaw91097
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Transmission is Slipping

After plenty of abuse at bogs, driving 3,000 miles within a month, and ******* it...my transmission leaks and slips. I pour a little trans fluid in every three or four days when it starts slipping bad.
It slips 50% of the time when I turn left, and sometimes I have to rev it up to about 1.5 to get it to catch and start to move. It happens about 25% of the time when I’m just driving straight, like at a stop light taking off it’s fine, but when I’m stopped and turning out of a gas station it’ll slip a little then catch.
Switching to second involves me letting off the gas first, but sometimes it’ll act normal when going straight.
ive never messed with transmissions before, and to be hoenest I’m kinda scared to. It’s my only vehicle and I can tell it’s gonna go soon. It’s gotten worse over the past two months.

Ive sourced a new 46re for $750 and another for $300 around Cleveland, but I’m not sure how to remove and replace a trans.
I’ve got 4x4....when it wants to work....so I have a transfer case too.
are there any videos or how-to’s to replace these transmissions? It’s a 1997 1500 ram, with a 5.9 out of a 1996 ram. I plan on getting a trans soon and replacing it before winter, because I don’t have a garage or shop, I’d be doing this outside my apartment building in the parking lot out back. In case you don’t know, winters suck up here and I’d rather get it done sooner than later in the snow.
Suggestions or tips please?

previous owner said it was a built trans....BS lol, although rev dumping it at the bogs probably didn’t help haha.
thank you in advance!

Old 10-22-2018, 03:04 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

First, verify it's actually a mechanical problem. On the drivers side of the trans, about halfway back, is an 8 pin connector. Goes straight down into the top of the valve body. (on the outside of the trans.) Unplug it. Go for a drive. Bear in mind you will have ZERO automatic function of the trans, so, you will have to start out in first, and shift when appropriate. (up and down......) You will not have O/D, or TCC engage, so, keep that in mind as well. Don't need to go far, or very fast. Just make sure you use all three gears..... If the trans goes into the gear you tell it to, when you tell it to, you just have an electronics problem, which you can fix in an hour or so. (by replacing them. ) If it still slips, or behaves badly, well, then it's time for a trans. Make sure fluid level is up to snuff before this test.

Old 10-22-2018, 05:54 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaw91097
After plenty of abuse at bogs, driving 3,000 miles within a month, and ******* it...my transmission leaks and slips. I pour a little trans fluid in every three or four days when it starts slipping bad.
It slips 50% of the time when I turn left, and sometimes I have to rev it up to about 1.5 to get it to catch and start to move. It happens about 25% of the time when I’m just driving straight, like at a stop light taking off it’s fine, but when I’m stopped and turning out of a gas station it’ll slip a little then catch.
Switching to second involves me letting off the gas first, but sometimes it’ll act normal when going straight.
ive never messed with transmissions before, and to be hoenest I’m kinda scared to. It’s my only vehicle and I can tell it’s gonna go soon. It’s gotten worse over the past two months.

Ive sourced a new 46re for $750 and another for $300 around Cleveland, but I’m not sure how to remove and replace a trans.
I’ve got 4x4....when it wants to work....so I have a transfer case too.
are there any videos or how-to’s to replace these transmissions? It’s a 1997 1500 ram, with a 5.9 out of a 1996 ram. I plan on getting a trans soon and replacing it before winter, because I don’t have a garage or shop, I’d be doing this outside my apartment building in the parking lot out back. In case you don’t know, winters suck up here and I’d rather get it done sooner than later in the snow.
Suggestions or tips please?

previous owner said it was a built trans....BS lol, although rev dumping it at the bogs probably didn’t help haha.
thank you in advance!
Where are you located? If you are in PA I can help you if you aren't too far from me. If not I can try and post a DIY for you. But first do what HeyYou said. I thought my trans was toast but I did what HeyYou recommended and it was an electrical problem.

Old 10-23-2018, 08:50 AM
Jaw91097
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I’m about two and a half hours from Pittsburgh(I’m in Cleveland, Ohio), although I’m off today. I might go out there in the cold and try that connector. I’ll let you know when I find out!
Thank you

Old 10-23-2018, 12:56 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaw91097
I’m about two and a half hours from Pittsburgh(I’m in Cleveland, Ohio), although I’m off today. I might go out there in the cold and try that connector. I’ll let you know when I find out!
Thank you

A little bit of a drive but if I get a day off and can swing the gas I'll come help you. Try the connector first as it saved me.

Quick Reply: Transmission is Slipping