2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transbrake on a 46RE?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 03:56 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Maximillio
Completely agree, in some way is feel like the Magnums are the last of the old generation of motors, still very easy to self work on, PLENTY of room in the engine bay. Basically an old engine with throttle body and injection really. Plus you can mod them out how you want for what you want and still be under budget of a new car/crate engine.

The power and efficiency of new engines is certainly alluring, but something about the 2nd gen is just classic and comfortable. I've never enjoyed driving another vehicle quite as much.

Also good luck with the 6.4, let us all know how that goes and make a post on it, its a SWEET engine from what I've read and heard, im sure it'll be a blast to drive
I agree with you on the Magnums, such a wonderful engine. Now the 2nd gen body I'll never get rid of the ones I have love them to much.

The 6.4 build won't be until probably next summer, as I lack time and it's going to be getting cold

Old 10-30-2018, 10:05 PM
DodgeFanMP
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This is precisely what makes me want to NEVER part with my 2nd gen.

Completely agree, in some way is feel like the Magnums are the last of the old generation of motors, still very easy to self work on, PLENTY of room in the engine bay. Basically an old engine with throttle body and injection really. Plus you can mod them out how you want for what you want and still be under budget of a new car/crate engine.

The power and efficiency of new engines is certainly alluring, but something about the 2nd gen is just classic and comfortable. I've never enjoyed driving another vehicle quite as much.

Also good luck with the 6.4, let us all know how that goes and make a post on it, its a SWEET engine from what I've read and heard, im sure it'll be a blast to drive
I'm not a "mod" guy...though I have dreams to one day rebuild my 5.9 with all sorts of performance upgrades, I just don't have the time, resources, or knowledge right now to do so. But I feel like I can pretty much do ANY regular maintenance on this truck all by myself. It's just really simple to work on, and as you said - the engine bay is gigantic. And I love driving the truck, too. Yeah, it's big, slow, and heavy...but it's like an old comfortable sweater to me at this point, and I love it.

Old 10-30-2018, 10:39 PM
Maximillio
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DodgeFanMP
I'm not a "mod" guy...though I have dreams to one day rebuild my 5.9 with all sorts of performance upgrades, I just don't have the time, resources, or knowledge right now to do so. But I feel like I can pretty much do ANY regular maintenance on this truck all by myself. It's just really simple to work on, and as you said - the engine bay is gigantic. And I love driving the truck, too. Yeah, it's big, slow, and heavy...but it's like an old comfortable sweater to me at this point, and I love it.
Well, by definition, any performance upgrades are "mods" or modifications to the original factory engine :P The more I have thought about it, if you're really seeking performance, you would be best off upgrading to a newer motor. In the event you did get good power out of the magnum, you'd still have to invest into the transmission to even make that power usable and reliable, and even then I feel like 4 gears (for automatics) just aren't very optimal for strip and street use since the OD gearing is so long, its not "fast" really. Also, some newer engines rev higher as well, which can also be nice.

And I completely agree with all of that, your description is all to accurate as winter season approaches, though in my case I wouldn't call it a sweater since I don't have heat. I honestly have never driving a more comfortable vehicle, and I enjoy just taking it for a drive and the comfort you get from sitting in those seats, and when you get the gas down, as slow as it is, can still bring a smile

Old 10-30-2018, 10:58 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Well, by definition, any performance upgrades are "mods" or modifications to the original factory engine :P The more I have thought about it, if you're really seeking performance, you would be best off upgrading to a newer motor. In the event you did get good power out of the magnum, you'd still have to invest into the transmission to even make that power usable and reliable, and even then I feel like 4 gears (for automatics) just aren't very optimal for strip and street use since the OD gearing is so long, its not "fast" really. Also, some newer engines rev higher as well, which can also be nice.

And I completely agree with all of that, your description is all to accurate as winter season approaches, though in my case I wouldn't call it a sweater since I don't have heat. I honestly have never driving a more comfortable vehicle, and I enjoy just taking it for a drive and the comfort you get from sitting in those seats, and when you get the gas down, as slow as it is, can still bring a smile
These seats are more comfortable out of all the Ram I own a 2008 & a 2017 and those seat are uncomfortable in my opinion. Mind you that a small block is best for the drag strip as it winds up quickly. You can get 625 out of these motors without any power adders (turbo or supercharger) as my buddy has a built 360 making 625 to the rear wheels

Old 10-31-2018, 10:07 PM
00t444e
Captain
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

The 46RE can be built to be a great transmission for drag racing, much better than any of the new autos. The 46RE is based on the same 727 torqueflite design that people have been drag racing with for 50 years.

Quick Reply: Transbrake on a 46RE?