2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Abs, brake light at startup

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 03:41 PM
Rench
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Abs, brake light at startup

1998 Ram 4x4.
My ABS and Brake light sometimes come on at startup, but not always .When they do come on , I have verified that I Do Not have Abs. But when I start up and they are off they work as they are supposed to. In any case, I always have brakes and I have never had a problem with speedo (even when lights are on) . Even though my rear speed sens ohm check ok , I changed it anyway. I replaced extension plug as well, and cleaned all connectors in rear and at control mod. No change. Seems to have a mind of its own. This has been going on for years but now I have a boat to pull and I don't want to risk it. I would say ratio of lights at start up (no abs) is about 4 to 1 no lights at start up (working abs) Any thoughts?
I posted this on the new members thread as well. Sorry, just new to posting.

Old 10-28-2018, 05:05 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Rench
1998 Ram 4x4.
My ABS and Brake light sometimes come on at startup, but not always .When they do come on , I have verified that I Do Not have Abs. But when I start up and they are off they work as they are supposed to. In any case, I always have brakes and I have never had a problem with speedo (even when lights are on) . Even though my rear speed sens ohm check ok , I changed it anyway. I replaced extension plug as well, and cleaned all connectors in rear and at control mod. No change. Seems to have a mind of its own. This has been going on for years but now I have a boat to pull and I don't want to risk it. I would say ratio of lights at start up (no abs) is about 4 to 1 no lights at start up (working abs) Any thoughts?
I posted this on the new members thread as well. Sorry, just new to posting.
When the lights are on you need to try and get the ABS code. You do this by grounding Pin#13 in the OBDll connector. You can use a wire.

Old 10-28-2018, 07:07 PM
Rench
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pin numbers

I have A OBDII reader. Will that work? If not do you mean clip a wire to pin 13 to ground? And where will code be displayed?
Thanks for your help

Old 10-29-2018, 02:00 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Rench
I have A OBDII reader. Will that work? If not do you mean clip a wire to pin 13 to ground? And where will code be displayed?
Thanks for your help
No your reader won't work. Even my Snap-On won't work and tells you, what I told you above, to do. Just get a piece of wire strip the ends. Stick one end in pin 13 and the other to a ground (I use the metal part of the steering column. And then the abs light will flash. If it's a 2 digit number you will have a long pause between then. For example let's say you have code 12 it will go like this: flash long pause flash flash and then will repeat. Make sure you count the flashes. It will start as soon as you take the wire off the ground.

Quick Reply: Abs, brake light at startup