2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

To Rebuild? Or donate?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 01:36 AM
Zane Covington
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To Rebuild? Or donate?

Hey everyone! I've got quite the situation on my hands and I feel it's best to get opinions from more familiarized brains.
So I bought a 99' 1500 gaser, 4x4 automatic, for $600 ($200 on paper). 240k miles. All electrical works. It made it back after a 6 hour drive back home so, it does run.
Got it re-registered here in California from Arkansas (a nice $409) though it still won't pass the snap test on it's smog test. Diagnosis I'm thinking oil rings, blowing smoke on hard revs. And yes plugs/wires/cap/rotor/oil change was all done.
Leaving me to decide on a rebuild and what's the best way to go about that. Also, keeping in mind, the trans fluid did have some shavings for the previous owner, and I've heard unfortunate things about these auto rams. Though, I absolutely love this truck and have wanted one since I was a kid. I also have a month old daughter in my cargo so that's a big factor in all of this. I also haven't gone as far as rebuilding a motor before but I would love to get to know the motor more past the tunes. Though, sometimes it's better to try with a different truck(another ram). I appreciate the honesty guys. Thanks!

Old 10-30-2018, 06:42 AM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts

Check the plenum first, could be oil in the intake causing some issues with smog. If that is clean, I'd look for a good used engine and swap it in. How is the body? Pics ?

Old 10-30-2018, 12:39 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Yeah, check the plenum first. If it is burning oil you could try Restore or add some Lucas to thicken the oil when you take it to be tested.

Old 10-30-2018, 01:59 PM
Zane Covington
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fj5gtx
Check the plenum first, could be oil in the intake causing some issues with smog. If that is clean, I'd look for a good used engine and swap it in. How is the body? Pics ?
Of course my phone won't load the pictures, body is in great shape, but there is rust on the bottom since Arkansas salts their roads. After looking at kbb it seems wisers to sell this and look for another ram.

Old 10-31-2018, 12:03 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 342 Likes on 323 Posts

If the body is rusty, I'd say sell it and find one of those used CA rust-free 2nd gen Rams.

Quick Reply: To Rebuild? Or donate?