2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Normal for rebuilt tranny to shift kinda hard ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 10:43 PM
POSram2001
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Normal for rebuilt tranny to shift kinda hard ?

Been driving my truck with my tranny swap for almost 2 weeks now.

at first it would stick a little but after topping it off with 2 more quarts Tuesday it stopped doing that. Yea I know gotta let the fluid pass through all the gears but the guy who worked on my truck got his license suspend for street racing so he couldn’t test drive it lol friend of the family though so he’s not a shady backyard mechanic

i had bad tags anyway and didn’t notice until I got them renewed and started driving more than 2 miles every other day.

Anyway i checked the fluid level after driving it wendsday and today by letting then tranny
Warm all the way up for about 15 minutes and then put it in N and the red line on the stick read above ok.

So im guess the firm shifts are from a shift kit or HD tc ? Everything else seems to be in order.

It doesnt shift or slam into gear irraticly , actually if I ease into it shifts smooth , but under medium throttle I can feel the shifts more than I expected.

just wanted some unbiased opinions on this before my guy looks at this coolant leak for me tommorow and I have him ride around in it.

also I have a rattling sound under my driver side floorboard that I only notice at idle in P or at highway speeds. My front u joint is shot so assume this is what is causing this ? The uj has a lot of side to side play.

oh and yes , the shift points are where they should be depending on throttle.

Old 11-02-2018, 10:55 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by POSram2001
Been driving my truck with my tranny swap for almost 2 weeks now.

at first it would stick a little but after topping it off with 2 more quarts Tuesday it stopped doing that. Yea I know gotta let the fluid pass through all the gears but the guy who worked on my truck got his license suspend for street racing so he couldn’t test drive it lol friend of the family though so he’s not a shady backyard mechanic

i had bad tags anyway and didn’t notice until I got them renewed and started driving more than 2 miles every other day.

Anyway i checked the fluid level after driving it wendsday and today by letting then tranny
Warm all the way up for about 15 minutes and then put it in N and the red line on the stick read above ok.

So im guess the firm shifts are from a shift kit or HD tc ? Everything else seems to be in order.

It doesnt shift or slam into gear irraticly , actually if I ease into it shifts smooth , but under medium throttle I can feel the shifts more than I expected.

just wanted some unbiased opinions on this before my guy looks at this coolant leak for me tommorow and I have him ride around in it.

also I have a rattling sound under my driver side floorboard that I only notice at idle in P or at highway speeds. My front u joint is shot so assume this is what is causing this ? The uj has a lot of side to side play.

oh and yes , the shift points are where they should be depending on throttle.

If there was a shift kit installed it could cause it to shift hard. A u joint will not make a sound at idle. It will make a "click" when the wheel is moving and get faster as the wheel spins faster

Old 11-03-2018, 10:56 AM
POSram2001
Rookie

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
If there was a shift kit installed it could cause it to shift hard. A u joint will not make a sound at idle. It will make a "click" when the wheel is moving and get faster as the wheel spins faster

hmmm maybe it’s the tc or something.

Would explain the intermitten clank at idle.

my only Idear would be maybe one of the bolts isn’t all the way in or loose because I kinda dumped the truck on that guy after someone else helped me with t but honestly I think the other guy was a pseudo mechanic.

It was my aunts husband and she was all like “ he always worked on my truck” and her truck ran good until it got a nasty rear end leak after an accident. He’s driven dodge trucks and jeeps his whole life apparently. My aunts truck was a baby blue sport too. What shame. A lot of miles on it too.

the guy who referred me to this other guy who owns a shop said he’s never known my aunts current husband ( he used to date her too) to work on his own ****. Might be right because he came by and helped me with something unrelated to the tranny and went back and checked it after it was bolted up to the BH and said that dumbass didn’t even tighten the bolts all the way.

anyway I’ll just get the guy I’m seeing today to take the cover off and look. If there was a loose bolt or something wouldn’t the truck not move at all though or lock up all the time ? I’ve only driven it like 20 something miles so surely I couldn’t have damged much if this is the case.

only other thing I could think of would be a miss but the engine idles smooth as **** and when I floor it or give it heavy throttle she has plenty of power and doesn’t hesitate so i doubt it’s the engine.

Plus my last truck I had had a slight miss ( I was told it was the o2 sensor ) but anyway even a slight miss was noticeable at idle and I would occasionally smell blow by on that truck and a pop if I drove it for longer than 35 minutes or so.

So Could a miss really mask itself that well ? I had a friend joke around and say my head might be cracked because of my small coolant leak. ;/. Not funny.

Last edited by POSram2001; 11-03-2018 at 11:00 AM.
Old 11-03-2018, 12:30 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Better to have good, firm shifts. Vehicles of the Gen 2 Dodges vintage were set up so the transmission would slightly slip, which allowed for "smoother" shifts. The drawback is the bands wear quicker. Why the slippage? This is what happens when people who should be owning trucks buy them and complain about how harsh the transmission shifts.

Old 11-03-2018, 02:37 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

hmmm maybe it’s the tc or something.

Would explain the intermitten clank at idle.

my only Idear would be maybe one of the bolts isn’t all the way in or loose because I kinda dumped the truck on that guy after someone else helped me with t but honestly I think the other guy was a pseudo mechanic.

It was my aunts husband and she was all like “ he always worked on my truck” and her truck ran good until it got a nasty rear end leak after an accident. He’s driven dodge trucks and jeeps his whole life apparently. My aunts truck was a baby blue sport too. What shame. A lot of miles on it too.

the guy who referred me to this other guy who owns a shop said he’s never known my aunts current husband ( he used to date her too) to work on his own ****. Might be right because he came by and helped me with something unrelated to the tranny and went back and checked it after it was bolted up to the BH and said that dumbass didn’t even tighten the bolts all the way.

anyway I’ll just get the guy I’m seeing today to take the cover off and look. If there was a loose bolt or something wouldn’t the truck not move at all though or lock up all the time ? I’ve only driven it like 20 something miles so surely I couldn’t have damged much if this is the case.

only other thing I could think of would be a miss but the engine idles smooth as **** and when I floor it or give it heavy throttle she has plenty of power and doesn’t hesitate so i doubt it’s the engine.

Plus my last truck I had had a slight miss ( I was told it was the o2 sensor ) but anyway even a slight miss was noticeable at idle and I would occasionally smell blow by on that truck and a pop if I drove it for longer than 35 minutes or so.

So Could a miss really mask itself that well ? I had a friend joke around and say my head might be cracked because of my small coolant leak. ;/. Not funny.
Not being a Debby downer but if a bolt or something major was wrong with your transmission driving it for 20 miles could cause it to be rebuilt. I don't think that is your issue. I think there was a shift kit installed.

Old 11-03-2018, 03:23 PM
POSram2001
Rookie

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Not being a Debby downer but if a bolt or something major was wrong with your transmission driving it for 20 miles could cause it to be rebuilt. I don't think that is your issue. I think there was a shift kit installed.
That’s what I’ve gathered seeing how it shifts softer at slower speeds. I was more or less talking about that noise I get on a could start with the lose bolt but that could just be a worn suspension item or something or maybe the exhaust.

What would cause the vibrating at highway speed though ? It happened for the first time I noticed last night when I was going uphill about to pull on the highway.

tires are worn uneven and need replaced but I just started driving it so I’ll wait to get some next payday. Kinda annoying after all this work and money it still has little stuff wrong with it.

Also abs and brake light are on

Old 11-03-2018, 04:42 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

That’s what I’ve gathered seeing how it shifts softer at slower speeds. I was more or less talking about that noise I get on a could start with the lose bolt but that could just be a worn suspension item or something or maybe the exhaust.

What would cause the vibrating at highway speed though ? It happened for the first time I noticed last night when I was going uphill about to pull on the highway.

tires are worn uneven and need replaced but I just started driving it so I’ll wait to get some next payday. Kinda annoying after all this work and money it still has little stuff wrong with it.

Also abs and brake light are on
The shaking at highest speeds could be a tire out of balance. Since you said they are worn unevenly. The noise could be the exhaust or a heat shield, get under the truck and start shaking things and see if you can find the rattle.
To check the abs and brake light here is the procedure:
Get a piece of wire (needs to be kind of long)
Strip both ends
Stick one end into Pin#13 in the OBDll connector (below the steering column under the dash. It favors the passenger side)
Now turn the key on, DO NOT START THE VEHICLE
Take the other end of the stripped wire and put it on a good ground
Then before taking the wire off the ground look at the abs light and while watching it remove the ground
The ABS light will flash count the flashes, if it's a 2 digit number the first number will flash then there will be a pause then it will flash the second number
Ex. Flash pause flash flash (12) or flash flash (2)
Report back the number and I'll help you from there.

Quick Reply: Normal for rebuilt tranny to shift kinda hard ?