2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 12:36 PM
Jaw91097
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Alternator?

So I fixed my water pump the other week, and when I went to start the truck it was fine, but the gen light came on every once in awhile then would go away. The battery gauge fluctuated up and down and would sometimes drop below 10, but it usually started anyway.

Well, I let the truck sit for a week because it needs ball joints and it was starting to get really sketchy and all over the road...(I sit in it and listen to music sometimes...and other things, so it’s safe to say I definitely drained the battery a little bit) but when I went to go start it to drive it the other day the battery was dead, so I jumped it with the Honda, and this happened in the video...

i got it it warmed up and then it idled fine afterwards, then I drove it around the block once or twice, charged the battery a little. Then I parked it again for a day or two, went back out to it and it was dead again.

I thought maybe I messed with a connection while doing my water pump, so I went back into it and cleaned off all the connections I thought I touched, tightened one or two bolts a little further down, but same issue.
This is also my third new battery in the last year lol..

With all that being said, would it make sense that my alternator has just gone bad? I can go pick one up for $25 at a pull a part place about ten minutes down the road so I’m not too concerned about the price.
Thank you

i was pressing the gas to make it do that, but about a minute later it idled fine

Last edited by Jaw91097; 11-05-2018 at 12:38 PM.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:40 PM
redwind
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To me it sounds the the alternator. Did you test the voltage while it was running?

Old 11-05-2018, 01:40 PM
Jaw91097
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by redwind
To me it sounds the the alternator. Did you test the voltage while it was running?
I did not, although the volt meter would go upto 14 when I was on the gas and when it’s just idling it’ll go down to 10, sometimes even below the 10 mark when I have the heat and radio on

Old 11-05-2018, 04:31 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaw91097

I did not, although the volt meter would go upto 14 when I was on the gas and when it’s just idling it’ll go down to 10, sometimes even below the 10 mark when I have the heat and radio on
i would bet it's the alternator. A way to check is at night start the truck turn on the heater and headlights. If they go dim it's the alternator. You can get a rebuild kit here: (I replaced mine with a 300amp one)
http://alternatorstarterrebuildkits.com/product/dpo/

Old 11-06-2018, 07:33 AM
ZEN357
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Jump it and take it to Advance Auto or Auto Zone and have them test the alternator. They will do this for free.

Quick Reply: Alternator?