2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Soft pedal Rear load sensor eliminator

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 01:01 PM
racefan41
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Soft pedal Rear load sensor eliminator

So I had my rear end jacked up the other day to looking for a vibration I'm having. After looking at the wheels spinning I got in the truck and stepped on the brake to stop them and they kept spinning. I've been dealing with a soft pedal and what I thought was not the best of stopping power since I owned the truck, but didn't think for a minute it would have been from rear brakes completely or gradually fading out of the picture. About three years before I bought the truck from my dad, he had the rear steel line break on him and had a shop redo the back brakes. I assumed things where done completely and good to go.

Back to looking into getting the problem solved, I went and bought the original style brake hose that fits to the rear load sensor that my truck has on the back.

After buying it I was looking around on the net and found out you can eliminate the valve all together and got this instead
https://www.circletracksupply.com/eg...odge-2500.html

Put it on today and brakes are hella better. Of coarse I snapped the rear end vent fitting getting the old hose off because you can't get penetrating oil the threads till the old hose is off. Nothing a screw extractor wont fix.

Anyway, thought I'd share my experience with my rear brake and spongy pedal fix. I'm not sure what all trucks deal with the load sensor, but I did see some info around about similar fixes with a dorman replacement hose. I just got the one I did because the info in the listing was very specific with my year/ model truck.

Oh, I should add that after read around the whole reason for the fix is that those load sensors go bad and can cause mose problems than they solve. Can't say for sure if my sensor was bad or just the hose, but the thing looked crusty three times over.

Last edited by racefan41; 12-01-2018 at 03:27 PM.
Old 12-01-2018, 03:32 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by racefan41
So I had my rear end jacked up the other day to looking for a vibration I'm having. After looking at the wheels spinning I got in the truck and stepped on the brake to stop them and they kept spinning. I've been dealing with a soft pedal and what I thought was not the best of stopping power since I owned the truck, but didn't think for a minute it would have been from rear brakes completely or gradually fading out of the picture. About three years before I bought the truck from my dad, he had the rear steel line break on him and had a shop redo the back brakes. I assumed things where done completely and good to go.

Back to looking into getting the problem solved, I went and bought the original style brake hose that fits to the rear load sensor that my truck has on the back.

After buying it I was looking around on the net and found out you can eliminate the valve all together and got this instead
https://www.circletracksupply.com/eg...odge-2500.html

Put it on today and brakes are hella better. Of coarse I snapped the rear end vent fitting getting the old hose off because you can't get penetrating oil the threads till the old hose is off. Nothing a screw extractor wont fix.

Anyway, thought I'd share my experience with my rear brake and spongy pedal fix. I'm not sure what all trucks deal with the load sensor, but I did see some info around about similar fixes with a dorman replacement hose. I just got the one I did because the info in the listing was very specific with my year/ model truck.

Oh, I should add that after read around the whole reason for the fix is that those load sensors go bad and can cause mose problems than they solve. Can't say for sure if my sensor was bad or just the hose, but the thing looked crusty three times over.
Isn't the load sensor a bar that goes to the rear axle? Might be my problem

Old 12-01-2018, 03:51 PM
racefan41
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Isn't the load sensor a bar that goes to the rear axle? Might be my problem
Ya, the bar connects from the shock mount to what is basically a proportion valve. Everything was hooked up right, just crusty looking. Apparently they cause problems after getting old. Forgot to mention earlier that I had had the rear end up in the air in the past and didn't have the issue with the wheels not stopping but always had the weak pedal. Thinking maybe it was the problem all along and just got to the point where it wasn't working at all. Maybe my leg just got stronger over time so I didn't realize it was completely shot.
The old brake hose didn't look to be in rough condition( not that that's means a lot) and the wheel cylinders always bleed fine.

Last edited by racefan41; 12-01-2018 at 03:53 PM.
Old 12-01-2018, 04:35 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts

I pulled the rear proportioning valve out of the 2000 Ram 2500. Just replaced it with a stock rear hose for a 2004 Ram 1500 4x4 that I had laying around. Newer one was metric, but its basically the same size and the long hardline fit into w/o issue - and it plugs right into the bracket on the frame. I replaced the short axle lines, had them made, and for the heck of it had the manufacturer use metrics to match the flex hose T....

Old 12-02-2018, 02:27 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by racefan41
Ya, the bar connects from the shock mount to what is basically a proportion valve. Everything was hooked up right, just crusty looking. Apparently they cause problems after getting old. Forgot to mention earlier that I had had the rear end up in the air in the past and didn't have the issue with the wheels not stopping but always had the weak pedal. Thinking maybe it was the problem all along and just got to the point where it wasn't working at all. Maybe my leg just got stronger over time so I didn't realize it was completely shot.
The old brake hose didn't look to be in rough condition( not that that's means a lot) and the wheel cylinders always bleed fine.
That's what I thought my 01 2500 didn't have one but technically is a 01.5
Originally Posted by fj5gtx
I pulled the rear proportioning valve out of the 2000 Ram 2500. Just replaced it with a stock rear hose for a 2004 Ram 1500 4x4 that I had laying around. Newer one was metric, but its basically the same size and the long hardline fit into w/o issue - and it plugs right into the bracket on the frame. I replaced the short axle lines, had them made, and for the heck of it had the manufacturer use metrics to match the flex hose T....
I need to find a company that makes extended brakes hoses. Only ones I found was for the newer trucks, would that fit?

Quick Reply: Soft pedal Rear load sensor eliminator