2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Gone through 3 track bars, any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 09:22 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The newer you go, the more expensive they are to own. I own a few and work on many more. MoparFanatic21's numbers and facts are mostly wrong, but the message is correct, if you don't have a reason to own a newer diesel, the costs outweigh the benefits. I do not drive my hot rod diesels unless I need them. The wife and I daily drive the gas '99 pickup and the car. If you are dead set on it, ask questions, I can probably answer them.

Old 12-13-2018, 09:42 PM
Bailey Miller
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah there really is no point in me getting a newer one as I wouldn't really need it, it'd be a no brainer to go for a new one if i had more then enough money but i dont want to really waste so much $$$ on a vehicle when i will only be driving it in the winter. My volkswagon is pretty much brand new. That's why I was thinking 3rd gen. I can't argue with how this truck performs it does great in the conditions I need it for, that's why I'm a bit indecisive on if I should get a different truck. It does a great job in the snow and with a front locker I'm sure it'd do even better and amazing in the mud. Gas mileage is more my concern and reliability which this truck I give it a 6/10 for reliability and a 2/10 for gas mileage. Does the 3rd gen have a lot better gas mileage and reliability compared to a 2nd gen? Would like to stick to the 2500 unless 1500 is much better.

Old 12-13-2018, 09:51 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Wombat Ranger
The newer you go, the more expensive they are to own. I own a few and work on many more. MoparFanatic21's numbers and facts are mostly wrong, but the message is correct, if you don't have a reason to own a newer diesel, the costs outweigh the benefits. I do not drive my hot rod diesels unless I need them. The wife and I daily drive the gas '99 pickup and the car. If you are dead set on it, ask questions, I can probably answer them.
My number were correct back in 2015 when I owned my 3 diesels. Not pain in false information (even said things may have changed) but I know for a fact that the "bulletproof" lift pumps for the 12V and 2nd gen 24V is $1200 as of right now and I'm not wrong with facts. I was a Dodge Technician bought my 2015 Cummins brand new and it was in the shop more then it was on the road. Not to mention I got to know the problems that not only the diesels have but the gassers. Diesel just isn't worth the extra headaches and money. Me I traded that Cummins in for a Power Wagon that tows 17,529 pounds just fine.

Last edited by MoparFanatic21; 12-13-2018 at 09:56 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:53 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Bailey Miller
Yeah there really is no point in me getting a newer one as I wouldn't really need it, it'd be a no brainer to go for a new one if i had more then enough money but i dont want to really waste so much $$$ on a vehicle when i will only be driving it in the winter. My volkswagon is pretty much brand new. That's why I was thinking 3rd gen. I can't argue with how this truck performs it does great in the conditions I need it for, that's why I'm a bit indecisive on if I should get a different truck. It does a great job in the snow and with a front locker I'm sure it'd do even better and amazing in the mud. Gas mileage is more my concern and reliability which this truck I give it a 6/10 for reliability and a 2/10 for gas mileage. Does the 3rd gen have a lot better gas mileage and reliability compared to a 2nd gen? Would like to stick to the 2500 unless 1500 is much better.
Not so in the gas mileage (or any Ram truck for that matter with a V8). It's reliable just old and needs new parts. One it is fixed it will last another 100,000+ miles. Mine is in the 400,000 mark

Old 12-13-2018, 10:07 PM
Bailey Miller
Professional

Gotcha, yea I suppose it's just the prices over here. Feels like I get 6mpg, I have been getting a tiny bit better fuel mileage and some decent throttle response since I got the factory intake put back on. Maybe ill hold onto this one for a little while longer and just see what happens. Gonna get a pickle fork so I can start working on it myself, this mechanic labor is killing me. Plus the roads around here don't help at all, $300 for copper transmission lines replacement. He made them himself, $500 for the drag link, left outer tie rod, and right inner at the pitman arm.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:15 PM
Bailey Miller
Professional

I'm giving it more life slowly. Have been getting tune up and oil change 500 miles early and trying to keep it going, along with getting transmission serviced every year. I doubt it'll last another 100,000 though, the transmission at least.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:31 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My mistake for not being more specific. When I say "newer diesel" I mean anything with a high pressure common rail fuel system. That means 03+. They are just cost prohibitive to own, unless you have a reason. I had water contaminate my fuel in my 04 a while back, and it cost me over $4000 all said and done, PLUS the time the truck was out of commission cost me far more. I am a self employed mechanic who specializes in Dodges, I did all the labor myself. I maintained it better than the book says to. Still had a major failure from problem that I couldn't control.

I think for now you should focus on fixing up what you have. Maybe try to learn to work on it yourself some, it will save you a lot of money instead of paying the mechanic.

Old 12-14-2018, 12:29 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Bailey Miller
Damn it, alright yeah I'm trying to avoid steering issues.
Exhibit A:

Old 12-14-2018, 04:03 PM
Bailey Miller
Professional

Ehh I'm not really interested in Chevy. Have thought about a Duramax though.

Old 12-14-2018, 05:23 PM
Bailey Miller
Professional

Gonna stick with this truck for another year or two for now though, and see what happens. Try to get some body parts for it also, really needs rockers and fenders just like any dodge.

Quick Reply: Gone through 3 track bars, any suggestions?