2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 Ram 1500 sport ABS MODULE

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 01:53 PM
njwieser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Ram 1500 sport ABS MODULE

Hey all, chasing gremlins in my ABS system. Initially was throwing codes 35 and 37. Changed out rear axle sensor as mine is only rear wheel abs. Now it’s been throwing code 71, which I was told by a few supposed dodge mechanics meant the ABS module was bad, so I pulled mine and sent it to a company called Rapid Transit Services out of Texas. When I received the rebuilt module, it included a instruction sheet informing me I needed to run an ABS circuit relay test and an ABS pump motor test to make sure these parts weren’t drawing too many amps which could cause the new module to overheat and they wouldn’t be able to warranty the repair.

Im having a heck of a time finding anybody who has a scanner that can test these. Anybody have a factory service manual with any info on doing these tests manually or do I need to head to a dodge dealer.

Also so of note. Originally the truck was only throwing the ABS and brake lights after I reached 65 on the highway. After replacing the rearend when my diff grenades it will now do it at lower speeds more sporadically.

Please lemme know if this is in another thread I missed.

Thanks!

Old 12-15-2018, 09:37 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

You don't have an abs pump. You have a dump valve, and that's it. The instructions are likely pretty generic, probably send the same sheet regardless of what part you buy.

May have to have a chat with the dealer for the testing of the other stuff.

Old 12-19-2018, 03:49 AM
njwieser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the heads up. Until recently I didn’t realize truck only had rear abs. You’d think that would make diagnosing this easier. Not so much. Think I found s place that will test it for me. Guy at shop said it’s usually those dump solenoids or abs pump and hardly ever the ABS module. We’ll see.

Quick Reply: 2001 Ram 1500 sport ABS MODULE