2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Broken hood hinge

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 10:17 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Did you already sandblast that? Or is that the condition you found it in? (and is that sand, or snow, around it. )

Old 01-27-2019, 06:38 AM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Did you already sandblast that? Or is that the condition you found it in? (and is that sand, or snow, around it. )
Hah, I guess it does look bare. Donor was a silver truck, and yes that is snow. Normally it would already be sandblasted and painted, but not in this cold weather. Have no where to paint other than outside.

The arm that broke, is what the flat spring is connected to... It counterbalances the weight on its own. I'll be checking out the broken one to understand the root cause... dang nasty weather is going to delay that though.

Old 01-27-2019, 08:29 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by fj5gtx
Hah, I guess it does look bare. Donor was a silver truck, and yes that is snow. Normally it would already be sandblasted and painted, but not in this cold weather. Have no where to paint other than outside.

The arm that broke, is what the flat spring is connected to... It counterbalances the weight on its own. I'll be checking out the broken one to understand the root cause... dang nasty weather is going to delay that though.
Yeah, it started snowing here last night, and it hasn't stopped, only got a couple inches so far, but, this isn't supposed to stop until tuesday...... Today was 'supposed' to be sunny. Doesn't look like that's gonna happen. We are due for 5-12 inches tomorrow.... on top of what we are already going to have. That should be fun.

Old 01-27-2019, 10:12 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Yeah, it started snowing here last night, and it hasn't stopped, only got a couple inches so far, but, this isn't supposed to stop until tuesday...... Today was 'supposed' to be sunny. Doesn't look like that's gonna happen. We are due for 5-12 inches tomorrow.... on top of what we are already going to have. That should be fun.
I went to the junkyard to pull a very rare part for the 2nd gens in -3 weather with 12 inches on the ground and it snowing to beat hell. 2 HR drive one way but it was worth it in my eyes

Old 01-27-2019, 02:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
I went to the junkyard to pull a very rare part for the 2nd gens in -3 weather with 12 inches on the ground and it snowing to beat hell. 2 HR drive one way but it was worth it in my eyes
I'm not that dedicated, and, I HATE cold weather. (yeah, that's why I live in Michigan.......) One of the main reasons is, due to my 'condition', I am not very tolerant of extreme temps. So, if it is really cold, or really hot, I suffer. Now, the HIGH temp on Wednesday is supposed to be -9...... Holy crap. Hopefully, I won't have to work, and can just stay in the nice warm house.

Old 01-27-2019, 02:55 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

I'm not that dedicated, and, I HATE cold weather. (yeah, that's why I live in Michigan.......) One of the main reasons is, due to my 'condition', I am not very tolerant of extreme temps. So, if it is really cold, or really hot, I suffer. Now, the HIGH temp on Wednesday is supposed to be -9...... Holy crap. Hopefully, I won't have to work, and can just stay in the nice warm house.
I hate the cold...I don't know why I left Texas. But when they had a floor console for a manual and the piece that goes into the dash to replace the cup holder I had to go out and get it. Got it all in Agate (factory interior color for my truck) for $10

Old 01-27-2019, 05:32 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 95 Posts
Default root cause?

The sun came out, still in the 20s, but decided to start working that passenger side hinge. I found that the drive side bar was bent too, and probably getting close to rip out as well. The old hinge had signs of lube on it, so it wasn't rusted. I worked the pivots, nothing hard or fused. I'm not seeing a root cause here. Not good, because it'll likely happen again.

It was cold enough that I didn't want to try the drive side replacement, so I just bent the arm a bit to get it straightened up so it'd last a bit longer. The I sprayed a bunch of grease on every pivot and all over the flat spring on both sides.

I'll replace the driver side when it gets above freezing again.

Old 01-27-2019, 05:36 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

The sun came out, still in the 20s, but decided to start working that passenger side hinge. I found that the drive side bar was bent too, and probably getting close to rip out as well. The old hinge had signs of lube on it, so it wasn't rusted. I worked the pivots, nothing hard or fused. I'm not seeing a root cause here. Not good, because it'll likely happen again.

It was cold enough that I didn't want to try the drive side replacement, so I just bent the arm a bit to get it straightened up so it'd last a bit longer. The I sprayed a bunch of grease on every pivot and all over the flat spring on both sides.

I'll replace the driver side when it gets above freezing again.
Good man! Could just be from using it over the years lol

Old 01-28-2019, 10:18 AM
Mike Sal
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll have to keep an eye on mine...Mine got bent way out of shape one day when I forgot to latch the hood all the way after changing the oil. Wife got in to go to town & the hood flew up to just over 90 degrees (didn't hit the windshield). I took the hinges off & beat them back straight on the anvil. Didn't notice any wear in the pivot areas....but wasn't looking at them either....

Old 02-04-2019, 12:08 AM
JCN1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 1996 Dodge 2500 hood will no longer stay up on it's own, does anybody know where to get new springs for these hinges, I've been looking all over for new ones?

Quick Reply: Broken hood hinge