2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

24V Not Holding a Charge and Wont Start

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 01:57 PM
Jaw91097
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 24V Not Holding a Charge and Wont Start

So I've had this truck for about a month, I had gotten the water pump and thermostat replaced already. The truck has had problems starting in the cold, it would take about an hour to jump it every morning. Also, my "Wait to Start" light stopped working about a week after I got the truck. Yesterday, I had jumped it in the morning, went into work, started it just fine on my break, let it sit for 30 minutes to warm up so I know it would start when I get off work at 7. So, I went out to the truck after work, and it wouldn't start. I had my uncle come jump me at work, and then this happened. The wait to start light popped up, the "check gauges" light came on, my radio suddenly did not turn on(It was working on my lunch break), the battery would show it had about 12 volts but then would creep all the way back down like it had a drain. What I'm wondering is, should I just get two new batteries or is my problem bigger than that? I got it to slowly crank once or twice last night but called it quits. Another thing, when I went to start it (while being jumped) there was a continuous noise coming from the engine bay, and it looked like a "Fuel sender"? You can see it in the video. But that sound didn't go away until I took the terminal off of the battery. There are also two wires, red and black, ontop of that, which are cut. You can also see that in the video. I think once summer comes around I'm gonna try to unload this truck and go back to a gasser.

Last edited by Jaw91097; 01-28-2019 at 02:00 PM.
Old 01-28-2019, 03:21 PM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 102 Likes on 97 Posts

The noise is likely from the electric fuel pump. It should only run during cranking or with the engine running. There might be an issue with the fuel pump relay that causes it to run continuously which would explain the battery drain. The cut wires are from the fuel heater inside the fuel filter which isn't super critical but it might be worthwhile trying to figure out why they were cut.

Old 01-28-2019, 08:33 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 365 Likes on 343 Posts

Might charge the batteries(not using the truck) to a full charge. Then load test them the next day and see what condition they are in.

Old 01-28-2019, 11:55 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 95 Posts

Agree with Moparite, try to get the batteries fully charged. I recommend a BatteryMinderPlus, I've had mine since 2013. I've resurrected quite a few batteries with mine, it'll supposedly removes sulfates from the battery plates enabling the battery to take a full charge. Since its winter, I'd remove them both and put them inside where its warm. Wire in parallel and let it go for as long as you can.
Amazon Amazon

Next I'd check to see if you have a drain on the battery when you shut down. Its called a parasitic drain, I just pulled the first link I google came back with:
https://www.wikihow.com/Find-a-Parasitic-Battery-Drain

Old 02-02-2019, 03:18 PM
Jaw91097
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found that the grid heater was stuck on after the key was turned, so I followed the instructions on this video on youtube, I just tied back two of the cables, and got a new battery. Started up after about two minutes lol. Thank you!

Old 02-07-2019, 02:57 PM
75transam
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like your alternator is not charging and draining the voltage . if you can load test the batteries.they sell a load tester at harbor freight for 19.00

Quick Reply: 24V Not Holding a Charge and Wont Start