2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Abs and brake light

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 12:02 PM
BDave
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Abs and brake light

I have a 2001 dodge ram 1500 with the 5.9 gasser auto trans. Abs and brake light on all the time. Speedometer quits every now and then. I changed the rear wheel sensor on top of the differential housing and the vehicle speed sensor on the tranny. Any suggestions?

Old 02-07-2019, 12:04 PM
BDave

Forgot to mention. 4x4 4 wheel abs no abs codes

Old 02-07-2019, 12:06 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by BDave
Forgot to mention. 4x4 4 wheel abs no abs codes
Any with recently done to the truck?

Old 02-07-2019, 12:19 PM
BDave

Besides changing the sensors, no. The abs doesn't bother me as much as the speedometer as it's a daily driver.

Old 02-07-2019, 03:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Speedometer gets its cue from the sensor on top of the rear diff. If it is still doing the same thing after changing the sensor, then the sensor likely was not the problem to begin with. You have a bad connection, or bad wire somewhere.

Old 02-07-2019, 03:31 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Speedometer gets its cue from the sensor on top of the rear diff. If it is still doing the same thing after changing the sensor, then the sensor likely was not the problem to begin with. You have a bad connection, or bad wire somewhere.
You always beat me to it

Old 02-07-2019, 05:47 PM
BDave

The whole story goes like this, I bought the truck last may and a couple days after buying it the abs would chatter, do its thing I guess and the lights would come on. After a few days, or weeks of driving, eventually the light came on instantly and the abs quit working. I then replaced the rear differential sensor and the sensor on the driver side of tranny. Neither helped. Now every now and again the speedometer quits working. Shut it off and restart and it's fine for a few days. I dont know if one has something to do with the other or not.
sorry for the long read

Old 02-07-2019, 06:25 PM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 102 Likes on 97 Posts

Can you elaborate a little more on "the abs would chatter" ? Did it appear to kick in without applying the brakes ? Or did it kick in while normal braking on dry road ? My truck is similar, same year and drivetrain but a 2500. On this truck with 4 wheel ABS (I think in 2001 there was no rear wheel only ABS any longer) the speedo is not fed from the rear axle sensor. When I got the truck it had the ABS and brake warning lights on as well. The rear axle sensor tested open but the speedo worked. I *believe* (have not found confirmation) that the speedo is fed by one or both of the front wheel ABS sensors. It can't be from the transmission because the speedo would be off in low range, and there is no sensor at the back of the transfer case. So check the front ABS sensors.

Old 02-07-2019, 06:48 PM
BDave

DerTruck, the abs would chatter as I applied the brakes on dry pavement. You get mixed stories as to what the speedo works off. Had a mechanic say it's the sensor on the tranny and another say the rear axle sensor. I'll look into the front sensors this weekend. Thanks for the input and I will keep you posted.

Old 02-07-2019, 07:02 PM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 102 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by BDave
DerTruck, the abs would chatter as I applied the brakes on dry pavement.
That would indicate a sensor reading being interpreted as the wheel slowing down more than expected. From what I gathered there are differences between the earlier and later models, I guess when the instrument panel changed. Earlier models have a speed sensor at the transfer case and presumably drive the speedo from there. Later models use a signal from the ABS controller. Good luck !

Quick Reply: Abs and brake light