2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear Band Adjustment Nut Won't Get Tight

Old 01-28-2019, 04:22 PM
Mockclayton93
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Band Adjustment Nut Won't Get Tight

Pretty sure I'm in the right section, but move if needed.

I know the 'My truck lost reverse' topic has been beaten to death, but I seem to have a unique situation.
A few weeks ago, my dad's 98 ram lost reverse. After some research, I felt confident enough to attempt a band adjust, as we were hoping this was the problem (seeing as this was the easiest solution... Wishful thinking I guess). After pulling the pan, I removed the locking nut, and attempted to tighten the adjustment bolt to spec, but it wouldn't get tight. It just continued untill no threads we're exposed for the locking nut. Am I missing something? I thought possibly the springs in the rear servo were bad, but it seemed fine after comparing it to photos. The actual band rests against the keeper, is this normal? I'm probably missing something stupid. Any insight to this delima would be most helpful.

Old 01-28-2019, 04:43 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,164 Likes on 2,918 Posts

Either the band strut is out of place, or, the band is simply shot. TransmissionCenter.net has 'slip in' bands available. Never done one myself...... but, you should be able to replace the band, without having to completely disassemble the trans.

Welcome to DF! And you are indeed in the right place.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear Band Adjustment Nut Won't Get Tight