2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sudden weak shifts

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 01:54 PM
Jmikk
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sudden weak shifts

Hey all! I have a 2001 ram 1500 Sport loaded, truck was t driven for 2 days. No issues at all when parked other than that cylinder 2 skip at idle it’s always had for no reason. I drove it home from work, truck shifted perfectly like brand new. Nice firm shifts up and down, accelerated great and was just a joy to drive everyday. Got in it last night, started up and put it in neutral to get the fluid moving through the system. Driving it to the bar for a round of darts with friends it was soft shifting, wouldn’t hold speed at 80 on the highway no matter how hard I laid into it until it shifted down and over just a very concerning and upsetting situation because I 100% love this truck and dont want it to go down. The tv cable is adjusted just right and still hooked up, fluid looks good and at the right level. Could it be a simple fluid and filter service with band adjustment or would I be wasting money and it’s days are numbered and needs a trans....if that’s the case what trans should I buy? I’d go with a heavy duty built trans with warranty and hopefully will never have a problem.

Old 02-06-2019, 04:34 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

If it shifts into the correct gear, at the correct time, but, won't hold speed regardless how hard you step on the go pedal, I would be looking more at the cat converter..... How many miles on the truck?

Old 02-06-2019, 05:25 PM
Jmikk
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If it shifts into the correct gear, at the correct time, but, won't hold speed regardless how hard you step on the go pedal, I would be looking more at the cat converter..... How many miles on the truck?
193k no history on cat

Old 02-06-2019, 05:55 PM
racefan41
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Did you make sure the linkage at the end of the TV cable on the transmission was moving smoothly and returning all the way back the to the park position? Could be getting crusty and sticking some. If it's been a ages since a fluid change and band adjustment, doing wound hurt. Also agree with checking on the clogged cat.

Old 02-06-2019, 08:11 PM
Jmikk
Professional

Originally Posted by racefan41
Did you make sure the linkage at the end of the TV cable on the transmission was moving smoothly and returning all the way back the to the park position? Could be getting crusty and sticking some. If it's been a ages since a fluid change and band adjustment, doing wound hurt. Also agree with checking on the clogged cat.

yeah it’s all hooked up, smooth action as well. Trans got a new front pump and torque converter when I got it so it had its fluid done. Not sure about the band adjustment though, hoping for the best with te cat now coming into play I have noticed the sound changing these days. I have a cherry bomb extreme muffler so I can definitely hear it!

Old 02-06-2019, 09:39 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Didn't a rotten egg shell sometimes means the cat is bad

Quick Reply: Sudden weak shifts