2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 Ram 3.9l to 5.2 swap help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 12:43 AM
Bumblet00th
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2001 Ram 3.9l to 5.2 swap help!

I'm a little new to this website so I'm trying to figure out everything.

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500, it's a 3.9l v6 with the NV3500 5spd manual transmission pickup my grandfather gave me after he retired. Completely stock, lowest base model Ram. I've been saving up money and been wanting to do an engine swap since my v6 is showing some age (It's been running since the day she came out of the factory but I need something beefier). I originally wanted to put in a 4.7 v8 but given the costs and time, I figured it'd be easier to just go ahead and get a 318 since it's just my v6 with 2 extra cylinders and the motor mounts are the same. Question is, what are all the tools and things I need to get/do in order to get a 318 to work in my truck? I'm positive the engine's gonna work with my transmission since it's practically the same one they used in the 5 spd v8 Dakotas. I know I need the engine, and wiring harness, but what about the computer? Am I gonna need a new computer for the 318 or could I flash my v6 computer? If so, is that going to affect it's performance? As for the transmission, am I gonna need a new bellhousing? I've been told the 3.9 and 5.2 share the same bolt pattern since they're essentially near identical engines. Am I gonna need to make modifications to the transmission and clutch? What all do I need so the 5.2 works in my truck? (Pictures are from a few years ago, she's been modified slightly, tuned and cleaned since then, this is just to show what I'm working with)

Old 02-14-2019, 09:57 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Engine, wiring harness, flash the existing computer. You will want the wiring harness from a 2000-01 1500, with a manual trans. You *might* be able to simply add the additional injector wiring to the existing harness, and extend some of the wiring for other sensors, as everything is pretty much exactly the same.

NV3500 actually came behind the 5.2 in a variety of vehicles, so, parts for the conversion are readily available.

As for tools, all you really need are basic hand tools. (standard, and metric, unfortunately......) Air tools make life somewhat easier, but, aren't a requirement.

Old 02-14-2019, 06:00 PM
Bumblet00th
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ahh okay, that's all the important info I need, is there anything else I should know before doing this swap?

Old 02-15-2019, 09:02 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

It's actually pretty straightfoward. The engine will pretty much bolt right in, the wiring will hook right up, you will just be short two connectors for the additional injectors. The V-6 programming won't run the V-8 though, crank sensor signal is different, and the PCM will be thoroughly confused by the V-8 return signal. So, you can either get a PCM that's already programmed for the V-8/manual, or, have it towed to wherever it is you are going to have it flashed. If you get a different PCM, it will run the engine, but, you will still need to get it flashed to the correct VIN, otherwise, things like ABS, and SRS will be unhappy.

Quick Reply: 2001 Ram 3.9l to 5.2 swap help!