2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission will not move at all.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 02:36 AM
Matt in Wellston
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Transmission will not move at all.

Well I have searched, google, this forum and even called a few transmission shops,but still can't to find a fix.

Basics:1999 Dodge Ram 1500, 5.2l 2wheel drive 46RE. So it started with the transmission losing power, making noise like a bad power steering pump, just weak and would stop pulling at all until I shutdown the engine for a few minutes, but that would only buy a few minutes of drive until I would have to shut the engine off again. Had checked the fluid level it was good, not burnt. Once I got it home I changed the filter, governor, and pan gasket. It worked fine for about 5-10 minutes, and then it did the same thing all over again, At this point I called around and was told replace either the pump, or torque converter, so I pulled the transmission replaced the pump with a know good one. once it back in and hooked up there was no movement at all, and the noise was still coming from it. I have since rebuilt the transmission, replaced the torque converter, check valve (near the Radiator) , and pressure sensor, still no movement but the noise gone. It gets good flow through the cooling lines, but I don't have a pressure gauge, rechecked all connections, linkage,kick down cable. I am hoping it is something I missed after I put it back in the first time. I read all the forums that even looked close, and called a few more shops, but still nothing. so is there anything electrical that could cause this?

Old 02-23-2019, 09:16 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Try this experiment.

Unplug the 8 pin trans connector. Go for a drive. Keep in mind, your trans will have NO automatic function. You will have to start in first, and shift at the appropriate times. You won't get TCC, or O/D either. If the trans goes into the gear you tell it to, when you tell it to, then its an electronic problem. If it still acts wonky, time to pull it back out, and see whats up.

Moving this to second gen ram section for ya. Welcome to DF!

Old 02-23-2019, 11:53 AM
Matt in Wellston
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey you,
Tried your step, still nothing re-seated all the other connection while I was there still nothing, no movement in any gear. Engine started just fine as normal.

Old 02-23-2019, 03:25 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

You have an internal problem then, not electronic.

Old 02-24-2019, 07:39 PM
PR1AWRet
Veteran
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

My first thought is the bolts from flex plate to torque converter not installed. Internally I'm suspecting a clutch o-ring or seal got whacked when putting it in. Did you air check the clutches? Was the clearance checked after each clutch assembly, snap ring to steel pressure plate? Did you install Alto reds and Kolenes (performance) or stock frictions and steels? The OD friction and steels are thinner than stock in some performance transmission kits. Did you flush the transmission lines/cooler?

I would drill out the check valve, it's easy. My stock one was brass. (HD and tow pkgs) Disconnect the compression joint. Drill out in small increments (1/32") until a stainless steel disc is seen inside the hole. Keep drilling in small increments until the stainless steel disc, ball and spring pop out. Clean and reinstall to compression joint. Cost, .00 if you have a drill index, no parts to replace and no leaks.

Quick Reply: Transmission will not move at all.