2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bad Wheel Bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 08:55 PM
racefan41
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I got the new hub and rotor setup put on today. What I found still has me baffled a few hours later. The rotor hub assembly is pressed together and held as a unit from the pressure of the lug studs being pressed through the two. Somehow my rotor had managed to become loose from the hub enough and began to oval out the holes in the rotor. The lug studs all took 4-5 good hits from a mini-sledge to get out, so they weren't bad loose at the hub. I has expecting to see some corrosion somewhere that would have aloud the play to begin but everything looked normal. The bearings felt tight when checking them on the truck but did sound gritty when spinning them off the truck.
From the thickness of the old rotor, I'm guessing the a new one (and maybe hub also) was put on at some point by the owner previous to my dad and me owning it. Maybe they weren't pressed together tight enough?
When I used to hit potholes and expansion joints on the highway, it always felt like loose ball joint but everything would feel tight when I looked underneath. Anyway, gonna go ahead do the other side maybe tomorrow or at some point soon.

Last edited by racefan41; 03-30-2019 at 06:17 PM.
Old 03-30-2019, 06:21 PM
racefan41
Captain

just thinking.....If the axle nut hadn't been torqued right would that cause it?

Last edited by racefan41; 03-30-2019 at 07:09 PM.
Old 03-30-2019, 07:32 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by racefan41
just thinking.....If the axle nut hadn't been torqued right would that cause it?
Absolutely

Old 03-30-2019, 07:54 PM
racefan41
Captain

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Absolutely
I will guess the other side wasn't torqued right either if that is what the issue was. Haven't had any obvious symptoms like the driver side, but gonna pull the wheel and look closer tomorrow. Thanks

Think I'll put my torque wrench on it and see what it says.

Last edited by racefan41; 03-30-2019 at 07:58 PM.
Old 03-30-2019, 08:32 PM
HeikIlm
Captain
Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Axle nut has nothing to do with the rotor being loose. My guess, either the studs were not seated properly, or they bottomed out prematurely leaving rotor barely tight, and over time the rotor worked itself loose.

Last edited by HeikIlm; 03-30-2019 at 08:44 PM.
Old 03-30-2019, 09:59 PM
racefan41
Captain

Originally Posted by HeikIlm
Axle nut has nothing to do with the rotor being loose. My guess, either the studs were not seated properly, or they bottomed out prematurely leaving rotor barely tight, and over time the rotor worked itself loose.
Do you think the rotor working loose would be enough to cause a vibration/ loose wheel feeling or do you think my wheel bearing could have been bad even though I couldn't feel slop in it when checking at the tire with it jacked up? Or maybe a combination of the two? I'm having a hard time visualizing how the rotor could work loose from the hub. Isn't everything sandwiched tight with the lugs from the wheel being on? I'm new to this kind of setup as you can tell.

Gonna check size of old lug studs to new ones and see how they match up.

Last edited by racefan41; 03-30-2019 at 10:33 PM.
Old 03-30-2019, 10:45 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by racefan41
Do you think the rotor working loose would be enough to cause a vibration/ loose wheel feeling or do you think my wheel bearing could have been bad even though I couldn't feel slop in it when checking at the tire with it jacked up? Or maybe a combination of the two? I'm having a hard time visualizing how the rotor could work loose from the hub. Isn't everything sandwiched tight with the lugs from the wheel being on? I'm new to this kind of setup as you can tell.

Gonna check size of old lug studs to new ones and see how they match up.
Im not to sure on threw setup as I never worked on a 99 and down truck. But the axle nut only has an effect on the bearing

Old 03-31-2019, 08:33 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

How where the studs put in? Where they the old ones or new? I just put a new bearing//hub and rotor on mine two weeks ago, I had to use a hydraulic press to install the studs(new). After i pressed them i made sure the studs where bottomed out. Also what brand hub/bearing did you get?

Old 03-31-2019, 11:05 AM
racefan41
Captain

Originally Posted by Moparite
How where the studs put in? Where they the old ones or new? I just put a new bearing//hub and rotor on mine two weeks ago, I had to use a hydraulic press to install the studs(new). After i pressed them i made sure the studs where bottomed out. Also what brand hub/bearing did you get?
The NEW ones I installed with a wheel stud installer tool that has a bearing setup on it and kept the threads on the studs lubed good, and used a cross pattern when tightening them up each a little at a time. They went in fine and all where bottomed out. I didn't see how they could have been any tighter. No lube got down around where the rotor and hub all mate up.

I got the Timken hubs and the new rotor I don't remember who they are cause I bought them a while ago and had them unboxed.

Last edited by racefan41; 03-31-2019 at 11:08 AM.

Quick Reply: Bad Wheel Bearing?