2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Looking for headlight suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 08:19 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Most people don't do this but it's an option if you want good headlights. You need to get the clear faced housings and "install' the projector housing in it.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/pr...rojectors.html

Old 04-20-2019, 10:12 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Moparite
Most people don't do this but it's an option if you want good headlights. You need to get the clear faced housings and "install' the projector housing in it.

Those are usually for HIDs

Old 04-23-2019, 11:38 AM
dapepper9
Veteran
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Moparite

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Those are usually for HIDs
Yeah what he's talking about is a projector retrofit. Not super plug and play but not super difficult either and CAN be done on a moderate budget. Though for the "daily beater" application I wouldn't bother.

For the OP, I would get Ebay 2pc headlights with a clear lens. They'll cost you the same or less as the OE style but the clear lens is more effective. They are also made from moldings of the factory stuff so they aim exactly the same way unlike the garbage 1pc lights that are also available. I would get a set of Philips Extreme-Vision bulbs. Far more effective than anything Sylvania offers and for half the price to boot.

Old 04-23-2019, 01:31 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by dapepper9
Yeah what he's talking about is a projector retrofit. Not super plug and play but not super difficult either and CAN be done on a moderate budget. Though for the "daily beater" application I wouldn't bother.

For the OP, I would get Ebay 2pc headlights with a clear lens. They'll cost you the same or less as the OE style but the clear lens is more effective. They are also made from moldings of the factory stuff so they aim exactly the same way unlike the garbage 1pc lights that are also available. I would get a set of Philips Extreme-Vision bulbs. Far more effective than anything Sylvania offers and for half the price to boot.
I agree if it's a beater not worth it

Old 04-25-2019, 11:37 AM
pilsbury88
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dapepper9

I bought and installed the pair from am-autoparts.com The link is further up in the thread. They seem fine, haven't tested them in rain yet though. They are Eagle Eyes brand out of Taiwan. They came with basic headlight bulbs but I'll be getting better ones. I was looking at Wagner Night Defense. Anybody have experience with these?

Old 08-31-2019, 09:31 AM
mokurt
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed the AM Autoparts headlights but have not tested them yet in my 2001 Ram 2500.
They came with bulbs installed.

Old 08-31-2019, 02:16 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by pilsbury88
I bought and installed the pair from am-autoparts.com The link is further up in the thread. They seem fine, haven't tested them in rain yet though. They are Eagle Eyes brand out of Taiwan. They came with basic headlight bulbs but I'll be getting better ones. I was looking at Wagner Night Defense. Anybody have experience with these?
I bought a set of those Eagle Eyes from eBay for my second gen. They looked ok, but when installed the left side (driver) sat low in the fender. I noticed it, but I'm not sure most would... it irritated me enough to pick up a good pair of OEMs out of the jyard that needed to be polished up.

Old 09-01-2019, 11:45 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 574 Likes on 520 Posts

I have put AM Auto parts headlights in several vehicles over the last few years. I've been quite happy with them. Better light and the front end looks much better. I've even done a couple of replacements where it wasn't for sale but someone started pulling out money until it GOT for sale.

The difference between old and faded compared to new lights.

Last edited by ol' grouch; 09-01-2019 at 12:13 PM. Reason: I can't hit the right buttons today!
Old 09-01-2019, 12:46 PM
true blue
Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I bought some cheap replacements a few years back. My old headlights leaked as well...fogged up...blah, blah, blah! I added a bead of clear silicon along the seam between the headlight cover and the black frame. 3 years later, no leaks, no fog n I wax the lenses them once a year. Hope this helps.

Old 09-03-2019, 10:45 AM
KillerLemming
Professional
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Bought mine on ebay for $60. Don't cheap out like i did, because the oem bulbs don't fit in the housing anymore

Quick Reply: Looking for headlight suggestions