Go Back  DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 2nd Gen Ram Tech
Reload this Page >

Looking for headlight suggestions

2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Looking for headlight suggestions

  #1  
Old 04-17-2019, 10:36 PM
pilsbury88
pilsbury88 is offline
Rookie
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 66
Default Looking for headlight suggestions

I tried searching for this but didn't have much luck, as the search function kept omitting common words like LED and Ram.

My 01 ram 2500 needs new headlights. Every time it rains one of them gathers about a cup of water and blows the bulb. Plus they're so faded and fogged up they're just about useless anyway. I'm looking for recommendations for a good pair of headlights at a reasonable price. I've heard a lot of horror stories about new ones leaking or not being adjustable etc. Its hard to know what you're getting online. More expensive doesn't always mean better quality. They don't have to be super fancy halo jobs, as its a daily beater truck. I'd also consider installing LEDs if it's worth it.

So what do you guys think? What are you running?
 
  #2  
Old 04-17-2019, 11:10 PM
MoparFanatic21
MoparFanatic21 is offline
Champion
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 3,289
Default

Originally Posted by pilsbury88 View Post
I tried searching for this but didn't have much luck, as the search function kept omitting common words like LED and Ram.

My 01 ram 2500 needs new headlights. Every time it rains one of them gathers about a cup of water and blows the bulb. Plus they're so faded and fogged up they're just about useless anyway. I'm looking for recommendations for a good pair of headlights at a reasonable price. I've heard a lot of horror stories about new ones leaking or not being adjustable etc. Its hard to know what you're getting online. More expensive doesn't always mean better quality. They don't have to be super fancy halo jobs, as its a daily beater truck. I'd also consider installing LEDs if it's worth it.

So what do you guys think? What are you running?
Im running HIDs
 
  #3  
Old 04-18-2019, 09:14 AM
HeyYou's Avatar
HeyYou
HeyYou is offline
Super Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Clayton MI
Posts: 56,694
Default

am-autoparts.com sells stock style headlight assemblies, and you can get a pair for around 100 bucks. (or so....) They say they don't come with bulbs, but, both sets I bought did. (I bought sylvania silver stars anyway.....) They are exactly like the stock headlights. I put a pair in my 96 truck, and they still looked brand new when I sold it, seven years later. I like them so much, I put a pair in my 98 when I bought it as well. I also installed the LMC truck heavy duty relay harness for the headlights. Makes a significant difference, and avoids issues with burning up headlight switches.
 
  #4  
Old 04-18-2019, 05:24 PM
pilsbury88
pilsbury88 is offline
Rookie
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 66
Default

Originally Posted by HeyYou View Post
am-autoparts.com sells stock style headlight assemblies, and you can get a pair for around 100 bucks. (or so....) They say they don't come with bulbs, but, both sets I bought did. (I bought sylvania silver stars anyway.....) They are exactly like the stock headlights. I put a pair in my 96 truck, and they still looked brand new when I sold it, seven years later. I like them so much, I put a pair in my 98 when I bought it as well. I also installed the LMC truck heavy duty relay harness for the headlights. Makes a significant difference, and avoids issues with burning up headlight switches.
On that website i see a pair for $54 and a pair for $97. I assume you're talking about the more expensive pair? I don't see a difference. Is there one? 🤷*♂️
 
  #5  
Old 04-18-2019, 05:26 PM
HeyYou's Avatar
HeyYou
HeyYou is offline
Super Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Clayton MI
Posts: 56,694
Default

I think the less expensive ones are JUST the headlight, and the more expensive ones are the complete assembly. (which is what I got) If that's not the case, can you post links?
 
  #6  
Old 04-18-2019, 06:55 PM
pilsbury88
pilsbury88 is offline
Rookie
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 66
Default

Both appear to be the whole assembly. But upon closer reading (derp), the more expensive pair houses two seperate bulbs for high and low beam. Not what i want.

https://www.am-autoparts.com/product...?m=1464&y=2001

https://www.am-autoparts.com/product...?m=1464&y=2001

There's also this slightly fancier pair. Either way if these are good quality that's less expensive than i thought it would be.

https://www.am-autoparts.com/product...?m=1464&y=2001
 
  #7  
Old 04-18-2019, 09:00 PM
MoparFanatic21
MoparFanatic21 is offline
Champion
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 3,289
Default

Originally Posted by pilsbury88 View Post
Both appear to be the whole assembly. But upon closer reading (derp), the more expensive pair houses two seperate bulbs for high and low beam. Not what i want.

https://www.am-autoparts.com/product...?m=1464&y=2001

https://www.am-autoparts.com/product...?m=1464&y=2001

There's also this slightly fancier pair. Either way if these are good quality that's less expensive than i thought it would be.

https://www.am-autoparts.com/product...?m=1464&y=2001
I got mine on eBay so I can't help lol
 
  #8  
Old 04-19-2019, 08:32 AM
HeyYou's Avatar
HeyYou
HeyYou is offline
Super Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Clayton MI
Posts: 56,694
Default

Originally Posted by pilsbury88 View Post
Both appear to be the whole assembly. But upon closer reading (derp), the more expensive pair houses two seperate bulbs for high and low beam. Not what i want.

https://www.am-autoparts.com/product...?m=1464&y=2001

https://www.am-autoparts.com/product...?m=1464&y=2001

There's also this slightly fancier pair. Either way if these are good quality that's less expensive than i thought it would be.

https://www.am-autoparts.com/product...?m=1464&y=2001
Careful on that last link, I don't think those are aimable.
 
  #9  
Old 04-19-2019, 09:04 AM
pilsbury88
pilsbury88 is offline
Rookie
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 66
Default

Originally Posted by HeyYou View Post
Careful on that last link, I don't think those are aimable.
I'll just get the stock replacements. They're plenty fancy enough for me. I'm surprised they're so cheap. That's a little worrisome but there's a warranty. They'll be incredible compared to the single fogged over headlight i'm using now. Thanks guys.
 

Last edited by pilsbury88; 04-19-2019 at 09:10 AM.
  #10  
Old 04-20-2019, 12:08 AM
Johnny Almeida
Johnny Almeida is offline
Amateur
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 35
Default

i went the AM ebay route for my 2001 as well. one of them did start leaking after about 6 months. They came with a year warranty. So i did a claim, they sent me a new one and i got to keep the defective one. The defective one is fixable with some silicone on the top edge so i kept it as a spare. two years later they are still holding up, look good, and have not started to fade yet.
 

Last edited by Johnny Almeida; 04-20-2019 at 12:10 AM.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking for headlight suggestions


Featured Sponsors

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: