2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Factory horn on steering wheel almost impossible to use and what I did to make it e

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 09:27 PM
Adam Weinstein
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory horn on steering wheel almost impossible to use and what I did to make it e

I have a 99 Dodge Ram and like most of you the horn button on steering wheel SUCKS to try and use . I do a lot of wiring jobs on hot rods and muscle cars . So knowing how most horns send a ground to the horn relay through pressing on horn button , and how hard it is to use factory horn I wondered if I could t tap onto horn wire with a momentary switch attached to ground . I found wires on steering column right below the plastic panels after removing bottom dash piece (stay away from yellow wires and plugs they are the airbag , but usually off to the side and separate from turn signal
wires etc .I tested with my power probe after looking up horn wire color code ( actually used diagram from a Dakota ) and found it was black with red stripe , but check your color code anyway. It worked . I used a single female scotchlok and hit one side of momentary push button switch and the other side to ground. Voila horn works and still
works at steering wheel if you can find the magic spot at the instance someone cuts you off . I put mine on edge of dashboard under the gauge cluster but put it anywhere you like . Don't know if anyone tried this before but I thought I'd share , as I'm sure I'm not the only that's suffered this pain in the *** . Also I had added underhood Hadley air horns with a momentary push button on drivers pillar for my horn but after 20 years I've had to replace the lower connecting rod bearing in air compressor pump 3 times and when it just recently let go leaving me no useful horn I came up with this . Hope it helps only took about 30 minutes to complete.

Last edited by Adam Weinstein; 04-28-2019 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Wanted to be clear on location of horn wire
Old 04-28-2019, 11:30 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Never had or heard of a problem with the horn on these trucks. It works every time I need it.

So kudos to you but it must have only been an issue on your truck.

Quick Reply: Factory horn on steering wheel almost impossible to use and what I did to make it e