2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

low beam headlights will not work on 1996 RAM

Old 06-09-2019, 06:26 PM
tbancroft
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default low beam headlights will not work on 1996 RAM

High beams are fine. I don't see a fuse or other resettable item. Any ideas?

Old 06-09-2019, 10:18 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by tbancroft
High beams are fine. I don't see a fuse or other resettable item. Any ideas?
Bad bulb? Did you check to see if you are getting power on the low beam wire?

Old 06-10-2019, 02:49 AM
tbancroft

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Bad bulb? Did you check to see if you are getting power on the low beam wire?
I did check one bulb and it was fine. Wires to the high/low lever look okay. Also the wires to the switch look okay, but for the life of me I can't get the switch out to look closely. Can't figure out how to remove the ****.

Thanks for your interest, Fanatic.

Old 06-10-2019, 07:02 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

I did check one bulb and it was fine. Wires to the high/low lever look okay. Also the wires to the switch look okay, but for the life of me I can't get the switch out to look closely. Can't figure out how to remove the ****.

Thanks for your interest, Fanatic.
Anytime, you mean the headlight switch?

Old 06-10-2019, 11:07 AM
tbancroft

Yes, the pullout switch for the lights. The **** is fastened to the rod that pulls and turns the switch, but to get out the switch I need to remove the **** because the hole through which the rod passes is too small to allow the **** to pass through. I've tried to pull the **** off and also to remove what could be a cover in its center in case there is a screw or fastener behind it, but the "cover" does not want to come off. Maybe just a design feature and not a cover at all.

Old 06-10-2019, 01:12 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Yes, the pullout switch for the lights. The **** is fastened to the rod that pulls and turns the switch, but to get out the switch I need to remove the **** because the hole through which the rod passes is too small to allow the **** to pass through. I've tried to pull the **** off and also to remove what could be a cover in its center in case there is a screw or fastener behind it, but the "cover" does not want to come off. Maybe just a design feature and not a cover at all.
Look at the back of the switch you should see a little plunger push it in and pull out on the ****, it'll come out

Old 06-10-2019, 01:40 PM
tbancroft

If by the back, you mean the part closest to the front of the car, I can't feel any plunger. I can't get my head or even a mirror back there to see - no room. If you mean the part closest to the rear of the car (where the switch attaches to the dashboard), I don't see a plunger. There are parts that rotate with the **** to change what lights are on (interior, etc), but pushing on them doesn't seem to release the ****. Does just the **** come off or does the whole stem come out?

I really appreciate your sticking with me on this, Fanatic.

Old 06-10-2019, 01:58 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

If by the back, you mean the part closest to the front of the car, I can't feel any plunger. I can't get my head or even a mirror back there to see - no room. If you mean the part closest to the rear of the car (where the switch attaches to the dashboard), I don't see a plunger. There are parts that rotate with the **** to change what lights are on (interior, etc), but pushing on them doesn't seem to release the ****. Does just the **** come off or does the whole stem come out?

I really appreciate your sticking with me on this, Fanatic.
Whole stem, you should be able to pull the whole switch out of the dash as there is a good bit of wire on that harness. No problem! The wire sometimes goes to the side and can get stuck but it should pull out so you can see the connector

Old 06-10-2019, 04:20 PM
tbancroft

THANK YOU. I had to unclip a wiring harness to pull it out far enough, but I found the plunger and got the switch out. Unfortunately, no noticeable problems so I have booked a date with my mechanic to check the continuity of the wires. I THINK the expensive work is done with all the disassembly/reassembly work out of the way, but we'll see.. Might be some parts, I guess.

I am thankful for your help, Fanatic. While I may not have located the precise problem, I certainly learned a few things. I hope one of those things is how to get everything all together again!

Regards, Ted.

Old 06-10-2019, 06:34 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

THANK YOU. I had to unclip a wiring harness to pull it out far enough, but I found the plunger and got the switch out. Unfortunately, no noticeable problems so I have booked a date with my mechanic to check the continuity of the wires. I THINK the expensive work is done with all the disassembly/reassembly work out of the way, but we'll see.. Might be some parts, I guess.

I am thankful for your help, Fanatic. While I may not have located the precise problem, I certainly learned a few things. I hope one of those things is how to get everything all together again!

Regards, Ted.
With a $5 test light we could have found the problem. But im glad I could be of service

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: low beam headlights will not work on 1996 RAM