Go Back  DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 2nd Gen Ram Tech
Reload this Page >

low beam headlights will not work on 1996 RAM

2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

low beam headlights will not work on 1996 RAM

  #1  
Old 06-09-2019, 06:26 PM
tbancroft
tbancroft is offline
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: North Vancouver, BC
Posts: 14
Default low beam headlights will not work on 1996 RAM

High beams are fine. I don't see a fuse or other resettable item. Any ideas?
 
  #2  
Old 06-09-2019, 10:18 PM
MoparFanatic21
MoparFanatic21 is offline
Champion
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 3,406
Default

Originally Posted by tbancroft View Post
High beams are fine. I don't see a fuse or other resettable item. Any ideas?
Bad bulb? Did you check to see if you are getting power on the low beam wire?
 
  #3  
Old 06-10-2019, 02:49 AM
tbancroft
tbancroft is offline
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: North Vancouver, BC
Posts: 14
Default

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21 View Post
Bad bulb? Did you check to see if you are getting power on the low beam wire?
I did check one bulb and it was fine. Wires to the high/low lever look okay. Also the wires to the switch look okay, but for the life of me I can't get the switch out to look closely. Can't figure out how to remove the ****.

Thanks for your interest, Fanatic.
 
  #4  
Old 06-10-2019, 07:02 AM
MoparFanatic21
MoparFanatic21 is offline
Champion
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 3,406
Default

Originally Posted by tbancroft View Post
I did check one bulb and it was fine. Wires to the high/low lever look okay. Also the wires to the switch look okay, but for the life of me I can't get the switch out to look closely. Can't figure out how to remove the ****.

Thanks for your interest, Fanatic.
Anytime, you mean the headlight switch?
 
  #5  
Old 06-10-2019, 11:07 AM
tbancroft
tbancroft is offline
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: North Vancouver, BC
Posts: 14
Default

Yes, the pullout switch for the lights. The **** is fastened to the rod that pulls and turns the switch, but to get out the switch I need to remove the **** because the hole through which the rod passes is too small to allow the **** to pass through. I've tried to pull the **** off and also to remove what could be a cover in its center in case there is a screw or fastener behind it, but the "cover" does not want to come off. Maybe just a design feature and not a cover at all.
 
  #6  
Old 06-10-2019, 01:12 PM
MoparFanatic21
MoparFanatic21 is offline
Champion
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 3,406
Default

Originally Posted by tbancroft View Post
Yes, the pullout switch for the lights. The **** is fastened to the rod that pulls and turns the switch, but to get out the switch I need to remove the **** because the hole through which the rod passes is too small to allow the **** to pass through. I've tried to pull the **** off and also to remove what could be a cover in its center in case there is a screw or fastener behind it, but the "cover" does not want to come off. Maybe just a design feature and not a cover at all.
Look at the back of the switch you should see a little plunger push it in and pull out on the ****, it'll come out
 
  #7  
Old 06-10-2019, 01:40 PM
tbancroft
tbancroft is offline
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: North Vancouver, BC
Posts: 14
Default

If by the back, you mean the part closest to the front of the car, I can't feel any plunger. I can't get my head or even a mirror back there to see - no room. If you mean the part closest to the rear of the car (where the switch attaches to the dashboard), I don't see a plunger. There are parts that rotate with the **** to change what lights are on (interior, etc), but pushing on them doesn't seem to release the ****. Does just the **** come off or does the whole stem come out?

I really appreciate your sticking with me on this, Fanatic.
 
  #8  
Old 06-10-2019, 01:58 PM
MoparFanatic21
MoparFanatic21 is offline
Champion
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 3,406
Default

Originally Posted by tbancroft View Post
If by the back, you mean the part closest to the front of the car, I can't feel any plunger. I can't get my head or even a mirror back there to see - no room. If you mean the part closest to the rear of the car (where the switch attaches to the dashboard), I don't see a plunger. There are parts that rotate with the **** to change what lights are on (interior, etc), but pushing on them doesn't seem to release the ****. Does just the **** come off or does the whole stem come out?

I really appreciate your sticking with me on this, Fanatic.
Whole stem, you should be able to pull the whole switch out of the dash as there is a good bit of wire on that harness. No problem! The wire sometimes goes to the side and can get stuck but it should pull out so you can see the connector
 
  #9  
Old 06-10-2019, 04:20 PM
tbancroft
tbancroft is offline
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: North Vancouver, BC
Posts: 14
Default

THANK YOU. I had to unclip a wiring harness to pull it out far enough, but I found the plunger and got the switch out. Unfortunately, no noticeable problems so I have booked a date with my mechanic to check the continuity of the wires. I THINK the expensive work is done with all the disassembly/reassembly work out of the way, but we'll see.. Might be some parts, I guess.

I am thankful for your help, Fanatic. While I may not have located the precise problem, I certainly learned a few things. I hope one of those things is how to get everything all together again!

Regards, Ted.
 
  #10  
Old 06-10-2019, 06:34 PM
MoparFanatic21
MoparFanatic21 is offline
Champion
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 3,406
Default

Originally Posted by tbancroft View Post
THANK YOU. I had to unclip a wiring harness to pull it out far enough, but I found the plunger and got the switch out. Unfortunately, no noticeable problems so I have booked a date with my mechanic to check the continuity of the wires. I THINK the expensive work is done with all the disassembly/reassembly work out of the way, but we'll see.. Might be some parts, I guess.

I am thankful for your help, Fanatic. While I may not have located the precise problem, I certainly learned a few things. I hope one of those things is how to get everything all together again!

Regards, Ted.
With a $5 test light we could have found the problem. But im glad I could be of service
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: low beam headlights will not work on 1996 RAM


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: