2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

'01 Ram 3.9 to 5.2 swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 09:57 PM
Bumblet00th
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation '01 Ram 3.9 to 5.2 swap questions

I'm about to ask some very dumb questions and please excuse my ignorance for it but firstly, where can I get a wiring harness for a 318? I'm doing a 3.9 to 5.2 swap project and I wanna know what would be my best bet to get a good harness, and if all else, is it going to be the junkyard? Because I cannot find anywhere online for a harness for it and ebay's charging an arm and a leg for one.

And what will I need so the 318 mates up with my transmission? I got the NV3500 5 speed that came with the v6 and I intend on keeping it, I know the bolt patterns are the same but is there an extra part I need or should I be able to just bolt it up and not worry at all about anything? Someone told me I'd have to get a 5.2 flywheel and others had told me I could keep my 3.9 flywheel but I'd need something for it so the computer could register all 8 cylinders. I'm very confused, what do I need/have to do for it to work properly?

Old 06-14-2019, 07:26 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

5.2 will drop right in, and bolt right up, no additional parts required. Only difference in wiring harness is two additional injectors. Just add the wiring for them, no need to replace the entire harness. Might need to extend wires for sensors at the front of the motor though. Flash the PCM for the V-8, and yer done.

Old 06-14-2019, 08:02 AM
Bumblet00th
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
5.2 will drop right in, and bolt right up, no additional parts required. Only difference in wiring harness is two additional injectors. Just add the wiring for them, no need to replace the entire harness. Might need to extend wires for sensors at the front of the motor though. Flash the PCM for the V-8, and yer done.
Awesome, thank you so much for your help, I'll start investing

Quick Reply: '01 Ram 3.9 to 5.2 swap questions