2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

engine starts right up, then won't start

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 08:33 PM
monte355sb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine starts right up, then won't start

Hello All, My Ram 2001, 2500- 8.0l auto, 4x4, quad, long bed. Picked up an engine core. rebuilt completely. Whats new, T.P.S.- Oil pressure sending switch, Coil packs, wires plugs, What I have switched back to what is on old engine since issue. throttle body, crankshaft sending unit, I.A.C. Had injectors sent and pulse cleaned. when running engine sounds perfect, smooth and quiet. fuel pressure is at 42 P.S.I. book says 35 to 45 check. The only thing I noticed is the R.P.M idles at 700 solid. touch the pedal it shoots to 1400 you can't hold it at any R.P.M between? twice after trying to start it I get a back fire (EXHAUST) then runs perfectly even when I forget the #2 plug wire (checking spark) Any help? Thanks Dan

Old 07-09-2019, 07:48 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Hhhmmm.... The 01 service manual says 49 PSI.... plus or minus 5, so, at 42, you are marginal.... Would be interesting to see what pressure is under load..

Do you have a scanner that can read data? If so, see what TPS is doing when you slowly press the pedal. (engine doesn't have to be running for that test) Backfire kinda indicates excessive fueling...... (yeah, counter-intuitive considering the low fuel pressure)

The V-10 runs smooth as glass, even with one cylinder dead..... What's even stranger is, my truck didn't even throw a misfire code, when I had a dead cylinder. The plug wire was burnt all the way through. No way that cylinder was firing, at all....

Quick Reply: engine starts right up, then won't start