2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Preventative Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 07:05 AM
Mulletman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Preventative Maintenance

I own a 1997 Ram 1500 Laramie that’s the single cab long bed with the 5.9L magnum. I have already replaced an oil pressure sensing unit, starter, headlight control switch and relay, and fuel pump control module. I was wondering if anyone had an advice on what I should replace next that’s a common problem that occurs with these vehicles. My gear shift lever is also loose and at this point it is more annoying than it is anything else but I’m also wondering if that’s a fairly easy fix and how to go about that. I was thinking of replacing the other relays and fuses in the truck as well as a crankshaft position sensor, camshaft position sensor, and ignition module if it has it. Anything else I should do? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-11-2019, 07:09 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. You may find yourself introducing problems you didn't have before by replacing things that don't really need it.

Is the shift lever itself loose? Or does the linkage just feel sloppy? If the latter, have a look at the bushings in the linkage, they are known for disintegrating, and causing some interesting issues.

Old 07-11-2019, 07:21 AM
Mulletman

I believe it is the linkage, I have to play with the lever occasionally to make sure it’s actually in gear and also when I go to turn off the truck I have to hold the lever up towards the top end of park in order to get the key out of the ignition. There is no wobble in the lever though.

Old 07-11-2019, 07:22 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Ah, yes, that's likely just the cheap little plastic bushings then. Should be able to pick them up from any parts store. I believe they are in the Dorman "help" line of parts.

Old 07-11-2019, 07:29 AM
Mulletman

Ok, I’ll look into those thanks. Forgot to ask, are those going to be located in the steering column or by the trans itself?

Last edited by Mulletman; 07-11-2019 at 07:32 AM.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:39 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Under the truck. (sorry) There is a 'bar' that connects things, bushings are on both ends.

Old 07-11-2019, 02:10 PM
Mulletman

Ok, bet this’ll be a blast thanks

Quick Reply: Preventative Maintenance