2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Is my cruise control servo supposed to look like this?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 06:16 PM
MJ Scott
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my cruise control servo supposed to look like this?

Not sure if I got the name of it right, but here is a picture of my CC servo, and I’m hoping that’s the problem with my truck right now. It’s got a vacuum leak somewhere that I can never find, but it just started running a lot worse the past couple of weeks. No power at regular throttle, won’t takeoff from a stop unless you give it much more gas than normal. It happened all at once on a drive out of town, one second it was great, the next second I was having to pull over because I couldn’t go over fifty mph. I got it home, tried it a week after that and it seemed to be okay, but as soon as I started going uphill with a load the motor started the same BS. The fuel pressure at the fuel rail is fine, and I don’t know where to go from here. Any help?

Old 07-25-2019, 09:36 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,402 Likes on 3,142 Posts

How about some info about your truck? Year? Weight rating? Engine? Trans? Last time it had a tune up? Any work done to it lately? Any codes?

Old 07-25-2019, 06:10 PM
MJ Scott

It’s a 5.2 Dodge ram 1500 1995 model, I bought it with 100,000 miles on it pretty confident that it wasn’t a false odometer reading either, but there were a few vacuum leaks that I had to fix before it really started running decent. I also chang it’s a 5.2 Dodge ram 1500 1995 model, I bought it with 100,000 miles on it pretty confident that it wasn’t a false odometer reading either, but there were a few vacuum leaks that I had to fix before it really started running decent. I also changed the O2 sensor and after that it was pretty good for a while. I noticed a vacuum leak on the way from Florida to Nebraska but could never pinpoint it and it would only affect up going up hills every once in a blue moon, when it would cause my cruise control to act up and my AC to stop blowing out of the vents. I had a fuel injector go out in this time, and it took me about a week to get it figured out and changed. Then all of a sudden, I started having power loss and bogging down, along with a sucking/hissing from the throttle body and I thought it was a clogged cat.

It took me about a week after I took the cat off to finally get around to beating it out and putting it back on. I drove around a little bit while the cat was unhooked with the O2 sensor taped to the side of the undercarriage. And it seem to run OK but I really couldn’t tell because I didn’t get on the gas a whole lot. Once I put the cat back on, it was clearly running like teetotal ****. I’m hesitant to say it was or wasn’t running this bad with the cat off, cause like I said I didn’t get on it a whole lot, but honestly it felt like it had a bit more power than it does now.

Old 07-25-2019, 06:27 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,402 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Think I would have a look at the plenum, see if it's blown, and also verify EGR is working properly. If you don't have one already, you can get a service manual for your truck from here.

Old 07-26-2019, 10:16 PM
MJ Scott

I have already bought the plenum gasket to change out, I didn’t want to get the entire kit yet until I know for sure that that is what was causing the problem. I’ll get around to doing that this weekend and while I’m at it I’ll check and see how to test the EGR, but the service manual doesn’t describe how, unless I missed it.

Quick Reply: Is my cruise control servo supposed to look like this?