2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

96 dodge ram 2500 v-10 4x4 AT w/ OD 214,000 original miles

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2019, 07:20 PM
Stitch Mitchell
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Stitch Mitchell
Afternoon HeyYou! Sorry for the delay. Hunt n season opened on the 1st.

So after parking for a week. She barely started when I turned the ignition? They I turned it off and it wouldn't start at all. I removed the ground cable and reconnected it. She started barely! I drove to the Napa in town and had them build me a new ground wire. She starts up every time now! Still running rough however? I didn't replace the battery yet or remove the O2 sensors. That's next.

Out with the old. In with the new!
Ok, so we changed the battery cables and battery. Engine starts better now. But the running rough engine still exists. Changed the coolant temperature sensor. Changed the fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator. Tested both coil packs. Checked all the spark plug wires and spark plugs. Did a compression test. All cylinders 125-135psi. Changed the passenger side O2 sensor. None of which has changed the way this truck runs!

Anyone know how to check timing chain slack with this distributorless ignition? I guess injectors and the crank position sensor are the next things to check?

Old 08-23-2019, 07:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,271 Likes on 3,018 Posts

Refresh my memory, is this a problem that came on suddenly, or started small, and slowly got worse?

Old 08-23-2019, 08:00 PM
Stitch Mitchell
Veteran

It started overnight!

Old 08-23-2019, 08:04 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Getting any codes?

Might try doing a power-balance test.

Start engine, let it idle, and settle to base idle. Disconnect IAC motor.
Disable one injector at a time. Just unplug it. If the cylinder is good, RPM should drop some.
See which cylinders are working, and which aren't. Compare that to which cylinders on on which coil pack. (individual coil packs, each one is responsible for two cylinders. the modules themselves deal with 4, or 6 cylinders.)
Any correlation there?

Old 08-23-2019, 08:07 PM
Stitch Mitchell
Veteran

We plugged the computer into it today after we did the compression test and it said everything was fine?
My mechanic said we need to test the timing chain and see how far it's stretched after 214000 miles?

Old 08-23-2019, 08:17 PM
Stitch Mitchell
Veteran

How does one start the engine and then just unplug the injectors one at a time? I can only get to, maybe, two of the injectors of the fuel rail. The intake manifold covers most of the passenger side injector caps and the air intake hose covers the driver's side injector caps?

Old 08-23-2019, 08:21 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

This is where a scanner would come in handy..... but, barring that.... just pull the plug wire.

Old 08-23-2019, 08:24 PM
Stitch Mitchell
Veteran

My mechanic has a bag of tricks like all the rest of my gear head buddies out there! He even called his dodge buddy today and we stumped him too! He said fuel pump or plugged cats! We know that's not the issue!

Old 08-23-2019, 08:27 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Problem is, the 8.0 is REAL reluctant to set misfire codes..... It runs too smooth, that I don't think it even notices a cylinder misfiring..... I had a dead miss on one cylinder, the plug wire was burnt in half..... and it never set a code..... I think I drove it like that for about a month.....

Do you have a scanner that can look at pending codes, or misfire counters??

If not, try the test, see what you come up with.

Old 08-23-2019, 08:31 PM
Stitch Mitchell
Veteran

I don't have too many tools. But my mechanic has been in business a long time. He has the scanner and all those other specialty tools. I told him all that you told me up until what we have discussed today. He told me to do some more research. So I will take your knowledge to him tomorrow and see what we come up with! Thank you so much for the assistance!

Quick Reply: 96 dodge ram 2500 v-10 4x4 AT w/ OD 214,000 original miles