2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1999 dodge ram 2500 5.9l v8 stalling problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2019, 10:06 PM
bacongrease
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 1999 dodge ram 2500 5.9l v8 stalling problems

My dodge keeps stalling when it is at idle. It also stalls when I am driving on any road and let go of the throttle to brake. I thought it was the TPS so i replaced it not the case unfortunately. Any info about this would be great.

Old 07-28-2019, 10:25 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Start by giving the throttle body a good cleaning. Actually take it off the engine, remove the IAC, and clean things REALLY well. (leave the battery disconnected while you clean it.)

Old 07-29-2019, 09:06 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Start by giving the throttle body a good cleaning. Actually take it off the engine, remove the IAC, and clean things REALLY well. (leave the battery disconnected while you clean it.)

Yep. I had a Dakota do that. The dealer cleaned it once under warranty but when I recurred, I did it myself. Get some spray "Throttle Body" cleaner. DO NOT use carburetor cleaner. It will destroy your TPS. Gummout even says on the can to NOT use it on fuel injection systems, at least it used to. Pull the air duct off and hold the throttle plate open by hand. Spray down the throat and rub around with a paper, not cloth, towel. Anything that comes off will burn in the engine. You'll find a bunch of gooky stuff (<-------fancy technical term) on the towel. Clean it as best you can, reassemble and start the engine. It will be hard to start and run rough for a bit. That's all the gooky stuff (<------fancy technical term again) burning off. The gooky stuff (Gosh, aren't I pedantic?) comes from your PCV valve and is normal.

Old 07-30-2019, 12:57 PM
KillerLemming
Professional
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou

Had the exact same problem on my 02 2500 with the 5.9 v8. Was the crankshaft position sensor. It did not throw an ecu code. Hope that helps

Quick Reply: 1999 dodge ram 2500 5.9l v8 stalling problems