2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Obstacles To Performance In Magnum Engines

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2019, 11:49 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
BGTuners. They even support the 2nd gen trucks. For 500 bucks, you get everything you need to create your own tunes. That's for ONE vehicle though...... But, I only have one..... and for LESS than the cost of someone elses custom tunes, I can do my own.
You can cause damage and fry A LOT of PCMs if you don't know rust you are doing

Old 08-10-2019, 12:03 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
You can cause damage and fry A LOT of PCMs if you don't know rust you are doing
Very true. That's why you proceed CAREFULLY. There is a whole community dedicated to PCM tuning for the third gen F-Bodys...... Dodge never seemed to generate that kind of interest.

Old 08-10-2019, 12:57 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

I agree that getting anything really noticeable power-wise out of these engines is futile. Over the decades I have done all the external "bolt on" mods and noticed mild improvements or detriments. It just depends on how much time and money one has as to what is accomplished.

There is also Flyin Ryan tunes. The last word I heard was that Hemifever's tunes weren't so good and people were having problems. Ryan seems to have better testimonials.

http://www.frptuning.com/product-p/sct9603.htm

But here's the thing that makes Magnums great: they last forever. I'm at 257k and 20 years old never opened up. Can't beat that except maybe with a Cummins. So I have perfectly content with my old slow girl because I know she'll keep on running.

P.S. Last year I bought a Harley and already have 3k miles on it. If you think mods for trucks are expensive, get into bikes. Holy crap, just doing mild upgrades is a cool grand. Tuners are just as expensive as automotive ones. Any part you might want to add or change is $400 or more.

Old 08-10-2019, 01:08 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Very true. That's why you proceed CAREFULLY. There is a whole community dedicated to PCM tuning for the third gen F-Bodys...... Dodge never seemed to generate that kind of interest.
That is sadly true I guess we were just more content with our power?

Old 08-10-2019, 07:01 PM
Skeptic68W
Veteran
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

BGTuners. They even support the 2nd gen trucks. For 500 bucks, you get everything you need to create your own tunes. That's for ONE vehicle though...... But, I only have one..... and for LESS than the cost of someone elses custom tunes, I can do my own.
Is this the software package you have? http://www.bgperformance.com/b-g-pro-tuner-software/

What are your overall impressions. Looks like the software also supports the newer hemi stuff like chargers and challengers, which will be the next vehicle I buy (to add to the fleet) so that could work out perfect.

Old 08-10-2019, 07:32 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Originally Posted by Skeptic68W
Is this the software package you have? http://www.bgperformance.com/b-g-pro-tuner-software/

What are your overall impressions. Looks like the software also supports the newer hemi stuff like chargers and challengers, which will be the next vehicle I buy (to add to the fleet) so that could work out perfect.
I don't have the software, no need for it, as yet.... I only have one vehicle though.... So, the single license would be fine.

Quick Reply: Obstacles To Performance In Magnum Engines