2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tailgate

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 06:09 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts

Just checked my email, and I did buy it from Advance. Here is the link from the receipt:
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...ontent=general

But its the same as what you bought. So what didn't work for you? These worked fine for my truck.

Old 08-15-2019, 10:57 AM
nyrainman
Professional
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fj5gtx
Just checked my email, and I did buy it from Advance. Here is the link from the receipt:
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...ontent=general

But its the same as what you bought. So what didn't work for you? These worked fine for my truck.
Yes, you are correct, this is the same part. Here is what is wrong on my end (see photo from the link you sent) ...

The piece on the left was tight, but I got it in on the left side of the hinge.

The piece on the bottom with the legs went in okay on the right side, but the rectangle parts, although they fit over the hinge part on the right side attached to the bed, they were too large and would not fit into the slot of the part below with the legs. I tried both pieces and neither of them fit into the slot. Therefore, I didn't use them and so there is still play in the tailgate, which I have to lift the tailgate on that side in order for it to close.

Am I wrong in part placement?

Old 08-15-2019, 01:32 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by nyrainman
Yes, you are correct, this is the same part. Here is what is wrong on my end (see photo from the link you sent) ...

The piece on the left was tight, but I got it in on the left side of the hinge.

The piece on the bottom with the legs went in okay on the right side, but the rectangle parts, although they fit over the hinge part on the right side attached to the bed, they were too large and would not fit into the slot of the part below with the legs. I tried both pieces and neither of them fit into the slot. Therefore, I didn't use them and so there is still play in the tailgate, which I have to lift the tailgate on that side in order for it to close.

Am I wrong in part placement?

Do you have any bed liner on the hinges? These are all the same. No matter the brand or year of truck. They are all the same dimensions. Mine worked fine

Quick Reply: Tailgate