2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Check engine light, cylinder #6 misfire

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 09:59 PM
dmcochran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check engine light, cylinder #6 misfire

My check engine light came on and every time it does it says cylinder number 6 miss fire I have put new spark plugs spark plug wires Distributor cap and rotor. I put a new coil on and that seemed to a fix the problem it ran great Friday night and Saturday the check engine light came on again and with my super chip I diagnosed and it said number 6 cylinder misfire and to the touch all my spark plug wires are very hot I don't understand what is wrong. I have the 5.9 360 magnum motor

Last edited by dmcochran; 08-19-2019 at 10:02 PM.
Old 08-20-2019, 06:45 AM
Kyle Harrington
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be careful. Does it flash while your driving. Mine done this and is now down due to I have no clue what yet. Sounds like massive air leak did have misfire but fixed that now gaggles air so bad almost kills the truck. Also be sure to double check your wire routing. Hope you get it figured out. Good luck

Last edited by Kyle Harrington; 08-20-2019 at 06:48 AM. Reason: Forgot to add info
The following users liked this post:
dmcochran (08-20-2019)
Old 08-20-2019, 08:53 PM
dmcochran

Originally Posted by dmcochran
My check engine light came on and every time it does it says cylinder number 6 miss fire I have put new spark plugs spark plug wires Distributor cap and rotor. I put a new coil on and that seemed to a fix the problem it ran great Friday night and Saturday the check engine light came on again and with my super chip I diagnosed and it said number 6 cylinder misfire and to the touch all my spark plug wires are very hot I don't understand what is wrong. I have the 5.9 360 magnum motor

I was told to do a compression test cause it could be bad rings. Does that sound likely???

Old 08-20-2019, 09:14 PM
99Ram1500sport
Veteran

Originally Posted by Kyle Harrington
Be careful. Does it flash while your driving. Mine done this and is now down due to I have no clue what yet. Sounds like massive air leak did have misfire but fixed that now gaggles air so bad almost kills the truck. Also be sure to double check your wire routing. Hope you get it figured out. Good luck
Check the air line running from the air box to the drivers side valve cover. If you have excessive vacuum, then you most likely have a blown plenum gasket.

The following users liked this post:
Kyle Harrington (08-21-2019)
Old 08-21-2019, 04:55 AM
dmcochran

Originally Posted by 99Ram1500sport
Check the air line running from the air box to the drivers side valve cover. If you have excessive vacuum, then you most likely have a blown plenum gasket.

I changed plentum plate with after market 1/4 inch thick aluminum plate and gasket 3 months ago. When I did intake manifold gaskets and valve cover gaskets and injectors, plugs,wires distributor cap and rotor

Old 08-21-2019, 06:27 AM
Kyle Harrington

Ouch. As far as compression... strictly my opinion, yes , I think that it could be a possibility. Most definatly.

Quick Reply: Check engine light, cylinder #6 misfire