2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Back fire followed by dead truck

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 08:41 PM
whitesquirrel45
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back fire followed by dead truck

Hey all, thanks for helping me keep my truck running this long, however, a new problem has come up.

My 99 5.2 4x4 has been sitting for awhile. I hit a deer, and instead of replacing the radiator, i poured in a band aid. After hitting my deer the truck has sat for several months. Today I took it for a 10 mile ride. I turned the corner and it back fires then died. After putting a little gas in it, i popped the hood and the radiator was hot. The hose going to the thermostat was tight and hot. I relieved the pressure and tried to use starting fluid to get it goin...nothing. I can hear the fuel pump cycle. Im just looking for some insight on where to start. Thanks in advance!

Old 08-20-2019, 08:43 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Radiator being hot, hoses being hard is normal. That's the way it is supposed to work.

As for not running, if it won't even fire on starting fluid, need to find out why you don't have spark.

Old 08-21-2019, 12:20 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by whitesquirrel45
Hey all, thanks for helping me keep my truck running this long, however, a new problem has come up.

My 99 5.2 4x4 has been sitting for awhile. I hit a deer, and instead of replacing the radiator, i poured in a band aid. After hitting my deer the truck has sat for several months. Today I took it for a 10 mile ride. I turned the corner and it back fires then died. After putting a little gas in it, i popped the hood and the radiator was hot. The hose going to the thermostat was tight and hot. I relieved the pressure and tried to use starting fluid to get it goin...nothing. I can hear the fuel pump cycle. Im just looking for some insight on where to start. Thanks in advance!

Is the exhaust plugged? Sitting for several months and mice may have built a nest in the tail pipe or muffler.

Quick Reply: Back fire followed by dead truck