2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rough idle and start

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2019, 10:36 PM
Dodgeman459
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough idle and start

Just picked up a 97 1500 5.2 automatic 4x4 for farm use with 120,000 miles. It starts hard and idles rough when cold or warm. No loss of power and as soon as I give it gas it runs and drives perfect. It does seem a little rich in idle and misses. It has newer plugs wires. It runs even worse when I first put in in gear or stop. When I’m driving at low rms and just a little gas it kinda shakes but when I give more gas it runs just fine? Doesn’t stall

Old 08-31-2019, 11:10 PM
Nicholas Seyfarth
Amateur
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Throttle positioning sensor may be going out or you need to clean the throttle body

Old 08-31-2019, 11:16 PM
Nicholas Seyfarth
Amateur
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do this with the battery and throttle body disconnected.Then allow it to run with all electronics turned off radio, A/C, etc. This should allow it to learn the idle position. Let it run to operating temperature, meaning the coolant has reached its normal temperature as when driving.

Quick Reply: Rough idle and start