2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2nd gen Cali coded ECU question

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 10:25 AM
joescoaching
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2nd gen Cali coded ECU question

I have a '95 that needs a new ECU. I have learned that the stock ECU is the cali coded one, serial number 56028473. The ONLY one I can find out there is 56028475. One number off!

Does anyone out there know if that will work? The one I can find says it's cali coded as well, but just that one number off! I don't want to plug it in and risk blowing something up.

Also, I've been told that since it's a '95, not a '96, that this particular ECU can't be re-flashed and rebuilt. I just have to find a replacement.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Old 09-10-2019, 10:36 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

The one ending in 73 is federal emissions, the one ending in 75 is California emissions.

Old 09-10-2019, 10:42 AM
joescoaching
Amateur

Oh, really!? Interesting. So, it probably won't work then?

Thanks for your reply

Old 09-10-2019, 10:58 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

The PCM you currently have is federal emissions. I think the cali emissions PCM is going to be looking for more O2 sensors, and likely won't work on your truck. At least, not well......

Old 09-10-2019, 03:54 PM
Viperdave
Professional
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What type of engine do you have?

what type of truck?

that will help us help you to figure it out

in 1995 the only dodge v8 engine to have more than one o2 sensor is the ram 3500 one ton dully with 360 v8 and dual exhaust. With heavy duty emissions. It had left and right bank o2 sensors dual cats and air injection to the cats

all other v8s had one o2 sensor and single exhaust

if if you run a single o2 comp on a dual o2 engine.......it will run, not well at idle, but will run off of just the left bank o2 signal

the 60 way connector has the same wireing for all v8s they just leave a couple of holes where wires would go for 2nd o2 and trans temp signal.

Old 09-10-2019, 04:01 PM
Viperdave
Professional
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh yea and a company called sia electronics can possibly repair it

they tried with mine, charged me 95 bucks and it didn’t work, shipped it back to them and for some reason there test bench found no problem, I actualy found two more comps on eBay with same part number and they work fine

sia electronics sent my comp back and refunded me all my money, the tech was a great guy and apologized that he couldn’t find a problem

had great conversations with them and I would definitely send one of my other comps to the to get repaired

viperdave

Old 09-10-2019, 04:15 PM
joescoaching
Amateur

Great info! Thank you!

It's a 4x4 auto trans, 5.9 gas Magnum.
I've ran the vin (3B7HF13Z0SM160123) at a dealer and they told me it's a Cali emissions truck (and I did inherit the truck from my grandfather in Oregon).
And yes, it has just the one o2 sensor.

It's a long story, but this truck has ran perfect up till I took it to a shop and had them replace the headers. They tried putting on cheap ones that did not have the ERG port, so they blocked off the ERG. That's when the sh!* hit the fan and they couldn't figure out why it ran so rough. They eventually fried the mother board of the ECU jacking with it. They finally got headers with the ERG port and I tracked down an ECU on ebay with the same serial number (56028473). Got it all back together, been running fine for a while and now all of a sudden it's in the same boat as before. Acting the same way as when the last ECU got fried.

Old 09-10-2019, 06:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Is it throwing any codes?

Old 09-10-2019, 07:36 PM
joescoaching
Amateur

Haven't tried this time. The last time it did this, when hooked up to the diagnostic it couldn't read anything because it was so jacked.

There's no check engine light or anything. It idles rough, stutters at cruising speed and if in overdrive it'll stutter so bad it's hard to keep it on the road.

Old 09-10-2019, 07:43 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

That's a misfire. (or three or four. ) has the plenum been fixed? That would be my first guess. Whens the last time it had a tune up?? Plugs wires cap rotor....

Quick Reply: 2nd gen Cali coded ECU question