2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Needing help

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2019, 06:11 PM
James Day
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Needing help

My question is is can I take the transmission out of a 2012 Dodge 2500 to put in my 95 3500 will that work if so what are some things I need to make sure I do

Old 10-21-2019, 03:59 AM
HeikIlm
Captain
Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

I assume we are talking about automatic transmission? How about your truck, gas/diesel, 2wd or 4wd?

Mechanically there shouldn't be nothing dramatic, bolt on except for the driveshaft lenght/s which you may need to fiddle some. But control side is whole other thing. Your '95 has overdrive and torque converter clutch contolled by the PCM, but the new trans (66RFE I believe) is fully electronically controlled. I'm not too familiar with the electrics of the modern Ram, but I think that transmission control relies to the other control units, too. I run into this issue when I was looking information about Allison swap from GM truck. Along with the transmission control unit you also needed a body control unit in order to get tapshift and tow/haul mode to operate. Wasn't that big of a deal, but the less wiring and control box the better. So if Chrysler went to same route, your best bet might be to get a stand alone computer for the transmission.

Last edited by HeikIlm; 10-21-2019 at 04:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Needing help