2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1996 46RE Transmission Noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2019, 06:47 PM
transfused96
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 46RE Transmission Noise

1996 Dodge ram 1500 5.2L 46re Transmission

Rebuilt 46re because it was hesitating to shift from third to fourth. Found out it was the accumulator spring. After rebuild with new torque convertor ran great. Put some pep in the old girls step, however the thing sounded like and tired old ford power steering pump on steroids. Every gear had noise with reverse being the quietest. The noise was also tied to engine speed. Like i said other than the noise it had never worked so well. Took it back out and opened it up the pan was filled metal powder and shimmered like the night sky. Only shavings were in the overdrive housing all the way in the back. Like a half dozen about the size of a broken pencil lead. They looked like they had been shaved from a pencil sharpener. But as I cleaned everything up I cannot find where they came from. There are a few scratches here and there where they came out of the input shaft. Could this just be a bad Torque converter out of the box? I blew out the cooler lines but did not flush them. Strange that there was more metal in the pan then before rebuild. Flex plate is fine and converter bolts were tight. Any answers are greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking a look. The over drive sun gear makes a ratcheting sound if I spin it around its mount and there looks like teeth imprints on exactly half of it. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: 1996 46RE Transmission Noise