2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Foglight Wiring Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 07:38 AM
1969roadrunner
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Foglight Wiring Question

Ok, here's my question. I've got a '97 1500 SLT Laramie... Unfortunately, my folks got it as a bare-bones SLT... I would have gotten every bell and whistle if I was gonna get a Laramie, but that's just me. Anyway. I've wanted fog lights for a looooong time, and this truck didn't come with them. I've seen some aftermarket lights that I like, but they stock ones just fit better... Afterall, they were made for my truck... I've now got a pair of factory lamps, and I've got the factory switch for the dash. The truck came with fuses for everything, but I need to purchase the relays... (Why are there fuses, but no relays???) My question is this: is the harness already wired for the foglights? Or will I have to run everything myself. It appears that the relay terminals are connected, and the fuses too. I can't find the plug for the switch, but if it comes to it, I can wire that myself fairly easily... Looking at the Chilton manual, the wiring skematic shows that the fog lights are powered by a 20 gauge light-blue wire. Sound right? Anyway. I have an unused plug behind the bumper with two 20 gauge light-blue wires and a black one, but there is only one plug like that... Is that the connection for the fog lights? If so, why only one? Is there a "Y" harness that goes between there and the lights? If that's not it? What is it? Also, is there anywhere else they could have hidden the plug for the switch if it is indeed wired for the lights? I'm just trying to save myself some time here, running the circuit wouldn't be hard, but it would take alot more time than just plugin' the stuff in... Anyway... Let me know if that plug on the bumper is for the foglights or not and where I could find that plug for the swtich... Anything else I'm missing here? Thanks...

Old 12-16-2005, 11:00 AM
bamory
Captain
Default RE: Foglight Wiring Question

On my Sport there is a relay under the hood in the secondary fuse panel and in the main fuse panel, also my headlight switch has the fog intergrated into the switch, thats the only things I see on mine, if there is anything else it is hidden. Open your owners manual and look where the relays should be for the fogs and see If they were put in at the factory, sometimes the wiring/fuses are there because the same harnesses are used on every application. Also remove your dash bezel to get to headlight switch, 3 phillip screws to remove switch, there should be 2 plugs back there connected to back of switch, use your manual to see If the fog wires are part of those looms, if they are you should be in good shape to get lights and a switch

Just FYI, the HL switch with the fog intergrated is 63.00 at the dealer, cheaper If you find one at the boneyard

Old 12-16-2005, 02:57 PM
1969roadrunner
Professional

Yes, I am familiar with that set up... However, the switch I am refering to is the small square one, similar to the o/d selector, that is independant of the HL... However, what you said about the same harness being used in all applications makes sense to me and gives me some hope that it won't be too tough of a job...

Old 12-16-2005, 07:28 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

01ramclassic installed OEM foglights on his. PM him and ask, he should know. Or maybe he'll just respond on here

Old 12-16-2005, 09:55 PM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

theres a reason why there is a relay and the circuitry that comes from the factory... reason beaing is that the switch (headlight switch with the foglight on pullout) is wired into the highbeam circuitry... mainly so when you got your foglights on and you hit the highbeams... your fogs turn off... its standerd... now if im not mistaking.. it will prolly be easier and better desighn to hardwire them to a small switch in the cab...thats what i did b.c i hated haveig the fog lights off when i the highs were on... the highs prokect so far out and its hard to see the road right in fron of you.. if all the wiring is there..and should be..and yea there should be a Y harness that plugs into the main and splits to the two fogs.. and i think if you orderd the factory lamps..depending on year make model.. would have come with that.. 01classicram will prolly knwo more on this subject seeing he went through the PITA install..well he made it sound that way.. either way he'd know more b/c i tink he's got the same year or close to it then yours... my 01 might differ a little bit... anyway..goodluck and tell us what happens!!!!!!!!

Old 12-24-2005, 12:23 AM
1969roadrunner
Professional

OK, there is a variation here... I have a '97 model.. For the '95s through '97s, they used a seperate switch on the dash next to the O/D selector switch, and not the one that is wired into the headlight switch... The foglights can be run with the highbeams still on in the configuration. When I went to the dealer, the first thing they pulled up was the replacement headlight swtich, but after looking again, they found the right one... Both set ups should work with all of the trucks, but it was the standard on mine. Anyway... At the moment, I can't remember where I stashed the swtich... So it's on hold for now.. That and the fact that I'm in CO at the moment, and the lights are in Texas... I'll let you know how it goes...

Quick Reply: Foglight Wiring Question