2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

APC LED Frustration

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 07:56 AM
1969roadrunner
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default APC LED Frustration

Alright, i just shelled out $7 a pop for two APC Super Bright LED taillight bulbs (3157 equivalent), and well, I'm kinda ticked... Those things look great, they are really bright, and give the truck a good look... for about 1.5 seconds... As soon as you hit the brakes, the 20 amp fuse in the dash blows... Well, to "fix" this, I upped the fuse a notch to a 25 amp one (I know, not the smartest thing, but a 5 amp increase in something like the stoplight circuit is not that much of a concern to me...) Anyway, that solved that problem... The brake lights worked fine, no problems.. I had them on for about 5 minutes, and nothing blew or smoked... Alright, so now I'm getting excited... I was about to leave everything and start putting what tools I got out up, when I remembered that they were double function, and I hadn't seen how much brighter the low-side was going to be compared to the original. Well, as soon as I turned the park lights on to activate the low-side of the bulb, another fuse blew... The park lamp fuse is only a 15 amp fuse, so I stepped it up to a 20. (Again, only 5 amps, not enough to bother me yet...) Pulled out the switch, POP! Ok, move up to 25... POP! Wow, alright... Now I know that I don't really like where this is heading, but I want these things to work... I put a 30 amp fuse in... Well, it doesn't blow this time... Yea! It work-- dammit! The front park lights were working, but when I walked to the rear of the truck, it was plain to see that the taillights were not... The licence plate light was trying to work, but it was very, very dim, and I had just replaced the bulbs this same evening... Well, needless to say, I pulled the LEDs out and put the regular bulbs in, changed the fuses back to their normal sizes, and turned everything back on... It all worked... Now, what on earth could cause that? I thought LEDs drew less than a standard bulb? It just doesn't make sense to me... Has anyone else had this problem? Is there something wrong with the wiring on the truck? Are the bulbs incompatible (It says that they match a specifications provided for standard 3157 bulbs and are considered a direct replacement.)? Is it just a faulty bulb? How could two be faulty at the same time? Coincidence? If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, let me know... I'd really like to run these lights if I can, so any help would be appreciated...

On another note, the bulbs themselves are about twice as bright as a standard 3157 bulb, but because LEDs are directional, they do not reflect as much as the regular bulb. You end up with a circle of extremely bright red light with a dull red around it, instead of the more even-lit effect of a standard bulb... However, you can see the LED from a much greater distance, and it is definitely brighter... I liked the look... If you have Aztella style lights, it would look even more impressive...

Quick Reply: APC LED Frustration