2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

FYI on oil catch cans

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2019, 09:57 AM
true blue
Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Red face FYI on oil catch cans

I recently changed my oil about 2 weeks/700 miles ago. I've always been somewhat **** retentive about "fluid levels" on my mechanical wonders of manmade technology ('96 Ram 1500). Saturday, I was checkin' the levels n all appeared okay, but my oil catch can wasn't. The dipstick was showing lotsa, grrrrr... I pulled the can off n it had about an inch of what looked like the proverbial "antifrz in the oil" look to it. Ovaltine, more than nestles, ya know? I went into auto...sailors language, spark plug removal, bore scope, compression gauges n recheckin' of the fluid levels. WTF, all normal, said I?!? Then I said to myself, "you moron, recent cold fronts, very humid air n lotsa short trips. The moral of the story, if you got a catch can n you got some chocolate yogurt built up n the catch can n nothing else seems rong, well... Hope this little tale helps someone else avoid lotsa wasted time n heartache.

The following users liked this post:
2bit (11-11-2019)
Old 11-11-2019, 10:20 AM
pershingd
Professional
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a similar problem with the oil fill cap on my Hemi Durango. The fill neck and cap are all made of the same composite material the intake manifold is. Every winter I get the same effect because that section never really warms up enough to evaporate the condensation. I used to take it in to get the oil changed in the winter, but after a series of shops refusing to touch it because of what the oil fill cap looked like, I just started sucking it up and doing it in the winter too.

Old 11-11-2019, 11:04 AM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

the catch can is doing its job.
I have seen the same collection of crud in some vehicles that run resonator boxes in the air intake. hot air from the egr meeting cold incoming air.

Quick Reply: FYI on oil catch cans